This article is a stub. You can help WikiAlpha by expanding it.
Transmetal (sometimes abbreviated as TM) is a type of technology in the Transformers series featured most prominently in the Beast Wars branch of the franchise. It typically denotes a Transformer of various allegiance who has been modified into an enhanced form that incorporates Vok technology/biology. A more powerful variation of this is known as Transmetal 2 or TM2, in which the Transformer in question possesses a techno-organic body created from modified Vok technology.
- 1 History
- 2 Known Transmetals/Transmetals 2
The original Transmetals first appeared in the Beast Wars cartoon series after the destruction of a Vok weapon led to a quantum surge impacting the planet and mutating several of the combatants. For unknown reasons only Cheetor, Terrorsaur, Scorponok, Rattrap, Tarantulas, and Megatron were affected among the active Transformers, though Terrorsaur and Scorponok fell into lava and were presumed deceased before their transformations could be viewed. The remaining four received upgrades that included metallic beast modes and additional modes with vehicular features, as well as immunity to the effects of raw Energon. This Energon resistance was also present in the similarly created Fuzors, though they lacked other traits of resilience possessed by their Transmetal colleagues. The stasis pods that crash-landed on the planet were also exposed to the mutagenic effects of the quantum surge, as demonstrated when a blank protoform used to revive Optimus Primal granted him a new Transmetal form and when Rampage likewise emerged as a Transmetal.
Transmetal forms were susceptible to strange mutations when they carried Autobot or Decepticon Sparks in addition to those of their Maximal or Predacon forms. This was demonstrated when both Optimus and Megatron were mutated into more powerful forms after taking in the Sparks of their namesakes. Another conventional Transmetal joined the Beast Wars in the person of Depth Charge, who was mutated by a temporal anomaly while tracking Rampage to prehistoric Earth. Shortly after his arrival Megatron began experimenting with improving Transmetal technology, eventually creating Transmetal 2 technology that he tested on cloned dinosaurs. He proceeded to create a second Dinobot using a blank protoform and half of Rampage's Spark, only for the process to be repeated on Cheetor and cause him to become a Transmetal 2 as well; Tigerhawk was also considered a Transmetal 2 in the toy line.
Dinobot was intended to receive a Transmetal form, but for unknown reasons the concept was scrapped. Predacon Galvatron is also reminiscent of standard Transmetals but was never identified as such.
Beast Wars: The Gathering, Beast Wars: The Ascending, and the Transformers: Beast Wars Sourcebook would subsequently introduce additional Transmetals and Transmetals 2 such as Scavenger, the surviving Terrorsaur and Scorponok, Optimus Minor, Scarem, Stinkbomb, Scourge, Cybershark, Iguanus, Ramulus, Spittor, Nightglider, Ravage, Jawbreaker, Sonar, and Prowl. Transformers: Dawn of the Predacus also featured Megatron in a form known as TM3, though this referred to his Trimalteranium armor rather than Transmetal technology.
In Beast Wars: Primeval Dawn, Tigatron and Airazor were revived by the Vok as Transmetals, while Primal Prime was introduced as an enhanced Transmetal. Ravage, Ramulus, Spittor, and others were also introduced as Transmetals 2, while recolored Transmetal 2 figures were used for new characters in the Beast Machines and Transformers: Universe toy lines. Transformers: Reaching the Omega Point also introduced additional Transmetal characters (or at least characters created from recolored Transmetal designs): Shokaract, Apelinq, and Cataclysm.
Robots in Disguise
Though the terms Transmetal and Transmetal 2 were not utilized in Robots in Disguise, five Transmetals 2 figures were repainted into new characters for the toy line: Cryotek, Darkscream, Gas Skunk, Sky-Byte, and Slapper; all except Cryotek also appeared in the animated series.
As in Robots in Disguise, Transformers: Armada featured several Beast Wars figures repainted into new characters, this time with standard Transmetals becoming new versions of Terrorsaur, Airazor, Cheetor, and Rhinox, while the Transmetal Megatron mold was used for the new character of Predacon. Of these only Rhinox appeared-briefly-in the animated series, while he and the other three figures with names identical to their Beast Wars counterparts appeared in the Dreamwave comics.
Known Transmetals/Transmetals 2
- Optimus Primal/Optimal Optimus - TM and enhanced TM
- Rhinox - TM (toy line only)
- Rattrap - TM
- Dinobot - TM (McDonald's toy only)
- Cheetor - TM and TM2
- Tigatron - TM (comics and toy line only)
- Airazor - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Depth Charge - TM
- Optimus Minor - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Prowl - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Stinkbomb - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Nightglider - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Sonar - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Jawbreaker - TM2 (toy line only)
- Cybershark - TM2 (toy line only)
- Tigerhawk - TM2
- Apelinq - TM (comics and toy line only)
- Primal Prime - Enhanced TM (comics and toy line only)
- Rapticon - TM2 (based on design)
- Terranotron - TM (based on design)
- Longhorn - TM2 (based on design)
- Megatron - TM and TM2
- Terrorsaur - TM (comics and toy only)
- Tarantulas - TM
- Scorponok - TM (comics and McDonald's toy only)
- Waspinator - TM (toy line only)
- Blackarachnia - TM (McDonald's toy only)
- Scavenger - TM (comics and toy line only; was intended as a Transmetal form of Inferno
- Rampage - TM
- Dinobot 2 - TM2
- Ravage/Tripredacus Agent - TM (toy line only) and TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Iguanus - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Spittor - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Scourge - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Scarem - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Shokaract - TM (comics and toy line only)
- Cataclysm - TM (toy cancelled)
- Fractyl - TM (toy cancelled)
- Cryotek - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Razorclaw - TM2 (comics and toy line only)
- Frostbite - TM2 (based on design)
Robots in Disguise
- Cryotek - TM2 (based on design; toy line only)
- Sky-Byte - TM2 (based on design)
- Darkscream - TM2 (based on design)
- Gas Skunk - TM2 (based on design)
- Slapper - TM2 (based on design)
- Rhinox - TM (based on design)
- Airazor - TM (based on design; comics and toy line only)
- Cheetor - TM (based on design; comics and toy line only)
- Predacon - TM (based on design)
- Terrorsaur - TM (based on design; comics and toy line only)