Magnaboss is the name of two different fictional characters from the Transformers series. The first is the US version of the character created by Hasbro, while the second is the Japanese version, created by Takara. Despite their similar looks and names, they are treated as separate characters in the fiction, with the US version being the original character, and the Japanese version imitating him.
Magnaboss also appeared as part of the BotCon 2016 exclusive series, where he is formed with Generations Combiner Wars Ironhide, Silverbolt and well with the help of Timelines Deluxe Tigatron and Unit-3. A set of exclusive stickers were released at that convention which convert the first three Autobots into Maximals.
A new breed of super robot blasts its way to the head of the Maximal battle lines with three times the fighting force! Prowl's ferocity, Silverbolt's swiftness, and Ironhide's strength team up to form Magnaboss - a triple-power threat capable of annihilating any Predacon enemy, even the ultra combative Tripredacus. Magnaboss owns the battlefield, arming itself with a massive megaton battle sword composed of Silverbolt's razor-tipped wing swords and Ironhide's blunt-force battle clubs mounted on Prowl's cyber tail claw. If two heads are better than one, Magnaboss is way ahead of that game... times three!
Magnaboss appeared in the Transformers: Universe comic book. In issue 3 he was portrayed as head of the Maximal High Council.
When modifying the Autobots' bodies to handle the unstable Energon on prehistoric Earth, Prowl included a contingency plan, allowing himself, Silverbolt, and Ironhide to merge into Magnaboss. The new ability was first demonstrated when the Autobots, now calling themselves Maximals, were attempting to retrieve their ship's missing energy purifier. Facing God Neptune, the trio merged into Magnaboss. Unfortunately the added power still wasn't enough, and the Maximals were left defeated. Magnaboss briefly formed to again fight God Neptune, only to be soundly defeated by Megatron's Gigastorm Armor.
Magnaboss appeared the IDW Publishing BotCon 2016 story Transformers: Dawn of the Predacus. In this story Magnaboss was formed as a contingency plan by the Autobot Primal Council and confronted Megatron and his Decepticon troops until the Decepticon surrendered. It is suggested that Perceptor was originally supposed to form one leg of Magnaboss, until his death, so Unit-3 was recruited to take his place.
Magnaboss had a biography printed in the Beast Wars Sourcebook by IDW Publishing.
- Beast Wars Magnaboss (1997)
- Packaged in a gift set.
- Ironhide was recolored into Beast Wars II Santon.
- Prowl was recolored into Beast Wars II Lio Junior.
- Silverbolt was recolored into Beast Wars II Skywarp.
- Combiner Wars Magnaboss (2016)
- A BotCon 2016 release that included a sticker pack to modify the existing Combiner Wars figures Silverbolt, Ironhide, and Prowl with Maximal symbols and other color changes. Also available at the convention were the Unit-3 and Tigatron figures.
Beast Wars Second
In the Japanese Beast Wars II series, Magnaboss is a Maximal formed from Lio Junior (his courage - lion), Santon (his kindness - elephant), and Skywarp (his intelligence - eagle). Magnaboss can harness the Angolmois energy in the form of a burning, sustained ball of power used as a weapon, similar to Lio Convoy. He can also use Skywarp's Missiles. The weapons of all three can combine to form the Magnablade. In the animated series the voice of Magnaboss was the same as the voice of Lio Junior, and Magnaboss was depicted as basically being Lio Junior powered up by Santon and Skywarp, not a merged mind as some other combiners had been depicted.
According to his IDW Publishing profile Magnaboss can teleport up to 50 miles, but it is very draining - a power he gets from Skywarp, despite the fact that it never mentions that Skywarp has this ability in Skywarp's own profile.
Lio Junior, Santon and Skywarp were regulars in the series after his introduction along with Skywarp and Lio Junior in episode #26 "Enter Lio Junior!" In this episode Santon and Skywarp arrive from Cybertron in time to combine with Lio Junior, who confronts Galvatron. The fight continues into episode #27, "Megastorm Reborn", where Galvatron is injured and escapes Magnaboss. Megastorm, enhanced into his new Gigastorm form attacks the Maximals, but the combined missiles of Magnaboss and Leo Prime are able to defeat him by blowing the rocks out from under him and dumping the Predacon into a pool of angolmois energy.
Magnaboss appears in the Beast Wars Second movie, "Lio Convoy Crisis".
Magnaboss had a biography printed in the Beast Wars Sourcebook by IDW Publishing. This biography established him as being built to look like the original Magnaboss.
- Beast Wars Second Magnaboss (1998)
- A recolor of the original Magnaboss. Because there were three different color variants of Lio Junior, there are three different versions of this Magnaboss, one with each different color of Lio Junior.
- Everything Elephants: A Collector's Pictorial Encyclopedia by Michael Don Knapik
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd.. p. 124. ISBN 0-7643-1364-9.
- Simon Furman (w), James Raiz, Makoto Ono, and Marcelo Matere (p), Ted Pertzborn, Chuck Gibson, Glass House Graphics (i). ""Homecoming"" Transformers: Universe 3 (Summer 2004), 3H Enterprises
- John-Paul Bove (w), Corin Howell (a). Transformers: Dawn of the Predacus (March 2016), IDW Publishing
- Stalking The Prey: A Guide to Hasbro's Beast Wars by Nicholas R. Messina, Jr., Lee's Action Figure News and Toy Review #71, page 34-40, September 1998