Galactic Defender was a character in the Micronauts series. The depiction of Galactic Defender has varied vastly from one fictional setting to another.
Galactic Defender usually carries a helmet, Laser Sword, Power Unit and Stun Carbine.
Mego released the Galactic Defender toy in 1978 in three color variants. It was based on the mold use for a Takara the Microman Command 3 figures, but with the chamber removed and new accessories added.
In 2003 Palisades Toys released a Galactic Defender Toy in four new color variants. This toy had a new backpack design.
In 2016 Hasbro released a set of Micronauts toys at SDCC which included Orbital Defender, a new take on Galactic Defender. Derryl DePriest said at SDCC 2016 that the Micronauts Classic Collection toys were created using a combination of the 1970's molds recovered by Takara and various Microman parts.
Galactic Defender has appeared in comic form several times over the years. Each appearance varies radically.
1979 Marvel Comics
Galactic Defender first appeared in Micronauts Annual 1 by Marvel Comics. He was depicted as a foe of the Micronauts. He dies in that story.
Galactic Defender would inspire an identical looking character called Galactic Destroyer, a member of the Death Squad, who appeared in issue 35-36 of the Micronauts comic.
Both Defender and Destroyer were based on the yellow Mego version of the Galactic Defender toy.
2002 Image Comics
Galactic Defender appeared as a regular among the cast of the 2002 Image Comics Micronauts series, depicted as a heroic woman.
2016 IDW Publishing
Orbital Defender in the IDW Publishing series varies greatly from the original toy, being depicted as a woman named Larissa, the daughter of Baron Karza, whose armor looks nothing like the original toy.
2018 Micronauts Protectors of Inner Space
Galactic Defender is among the cast in the 2018 art series Micronauts Protectors of Inner Space by Brian Vox. He appears on the cover of issues 1-2, 10, 13 and 17.
This version of Galactic Defender was based on the grey Mego version of the Galactic Defender toy.
Galactic Defender appeared together in a commercial with the Aquatron vehicle.
Galactic Defender shared a commercial with Acroyear II, Andromeda, Baron Karza, Force Commander, Oberon and Spacer Glider.
- Mego Micronauts Galactic Defender (1978)
- Available in 3 color variants, grey/red, white/blue and yellow/black.
- Comes with a red helmet, chrome leg wings and arm blades. Has red weapons and backpack.
- Palisades Toys Galactic Defender (2003)
- Available in four color variants: black, blue, clear smoke and green.
- Comes with a helmet and the same weapon as the original Mego toy, but has a Super Rocket Pack replacing the Power Unit.
- Hasbro Micronauts Classic Collection (2016)
- A SDCC 2016 exclusive box set containing a green plastic Galactic Warrior, a grey Orbital Defender (formerly called the Galactic Defender) and blue Pharoid with two winglets and Time Chamber.
- The Time Chamber featured the original Japanese writing.
- Inside the box the figures are attacked to a cardboard display which looks like a minature version of the Astro Station.
- Features art by Ken Kelly. The box art for Pharoid features him wearing the larger wings from the Palisades version of Pharoid which were not part of this set.
This article is a stub. You can help WikiAlpha by expanding it.