She is an ISTD (The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing) accredited dance instructor. In 2023, she received the More Than Just Great Dancing Growth Award.
Education and trainings
In 1998, Susan was granted membership and accreditation in The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD). In 2003, she received functional training on JGST certification from Mad Dogg Athletics.
In 2004, she was granted her Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA) certification. Subsequently, she obtained an MBA in Marketing in 2004 from the California State University. In 2011, she completed her Zumba instructor certification from the Zumba Instructor Network - ZIN.
Susan served as a Sports and Recreation Director at Alpert Jewish Community Center from 2002-2004. In 2004, she founded Kick It Up, a dance and fitness training studio based in Long Beach, California. Kick It Up has a dedicated dance studio that offers classes for children, teens, and adults as well as special needs children. The institution has national award-winning dance teams.
Susan Janson has been featured in Dance Teacher Magazine, is a part of the International Dance Association, More Than Just Great Dancing, and is a part of the Youth Protection Association of Dance.
Notably, Susan and her team performed for the Nike Basketball 3ON3 Tournament, at Staples Center (now Nokia Center), Dignity Health Sports Park, Disneyland.
One of Susan Janson's students La Palma teen Grace Edwards founded the nonprofit Talent for Epilepsy in 2009. In the years since the La Palma teen has spread awareness and raised funds to help families with epilepsy-related medical bills. Edwards started Talent for Epilepsy with the encouragement of Kick It Up owner Susan Janson, her dance teacher at the time. Janson continues to help Edwards prep for pageants.
With the help of Grace Edwards dance teacher Susan Janson, Talent for Epilepsy held its first talent show in 2013 and a second two years later. Two dozen local businesses sponsored the events. Proceeds went toward epilepsy organizations and children’s hospitals."
- More Than Just Great Dancing Growth Award, 2023
- Metzker, Dr. Andrea (22 August 2022). "Factoring in Fitness". patch.com. https://patch.com/california/belmontshore/long-beachs-dance-studios-keep-you-on-your-toes.
- Walker, Theresa (11 February 2020). "Yorba Linda teen brings some pageantry when talking about epilepsy and bullies". Orange County Register. https://www.ocregister.com/2020/02/11/yorba-linda-teen-brings-some-pageantry-when-talking-about-epilepsy-and-bullies/.
- "Kick It Up Dance on Yelp". yelp.com. 22 August 2022. https://www.yelp.com/biz/kick-it-up-long-beach.
- "A HUGE congratulations to Kick It Up’s studio owner Miss Susan Janson". https://www.instagram.com/p/CvWjp2HO8qn/?img_index=1.
- KASPER, COURTNEY RAE (22 August 2022). "Factoring in Fitness". Dance Teacher Magazine. https://dance-teacher.com/factoring-in-fitness/.
- "Grace Edwards, founder of Talent for Epilepsy, is raising awareness for the disorder". The Orange County Register. 22 August 2022. https://www.ocregister.com/2017/03/15/grace-edwards-founder-of-talent-for-epilepsy-is-raising-awareness-for-the-disorder/.