Kick It Up
Kick It Up is an American dance and fitness training studio based in Long Beach, California. Kick It Up is better known for offering Recreational and Competitive dance programs of ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop, contemporary, lyrical, dance acrobatics, musical theatre, voice and hula to boys, girls, and adults.
Formation and trainings
Kick It Up was founded by Miss Susan Janson in 2004 with the goal of providing every dance student the opportunity to have a well-rounded performing arts education. Initially, she offered morning fitness classes and afternoon and evening dance classes. But as enrollment and client demand increased, she added evening classes: Zumba, Spinning, yoga, and total body strength conditioning.
Kick It Up has a dedicated dance studio that offers classes for children, teens, and adults as well as special needs children. The institution has national award-winning dance teams.
The dance studio was named the number one dance studio in LA County by Fox News, the Long Beach Press-Telegram, the Long Beach Post, and the Beachcomber.
Both Susan Janson and Kick It Up have been featured in Dance Teacher Magazine, are a part of the International Dance Association, More Than Just Great Dancing, and are a part of the Youth Protection Association of Dance. Kick It Up is celebrating its 20-year anniversary.
Their Long Beach, California studio is accredited and certified by More Than Just Great Dancing® which ensures Safer Studio Standards with all teachers' background checked, fingerprinted, and YPAD certified.
Notably, they performed for the Nike Basketball 3ON3 Tournament, at Staples Center (now Nokia Center), Dignity Health Sports Park, Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm. One of Susan Jenson's students La Palma teen Grace Edwards founded the nonprofit Talent for Epilepsy in 2009 and set her plan in motion. In the years since the La Palma teen has spread awareness and raised funds to help families with epilepsy-related medical bills.
With the help of Grace Edwards dance teacher Susan Janson, Talent for Epilepsy held its first talent show in 2013 and a second two years later. Two dozen local businesses sponsored the events. Proceeds went toward epilepsy organizations and children’s hospitals."
- Metzker, Dr. Andrea (22 August 2022). "Factoring in Fitness". patch.com. https://patch.com/california/belmontshore/long-beachs-dance-studios-keep-you-on-your-toes.
- "Kick It Up Dance on Yelp". yelp.com. 22 August 2022. https://www.yelp.com/biz/kick-it-up-long-beach.
- KASPER, COURTNEY RAE (22 August 2022). "Factoring in Fitness". Dance Teacher Magazine. https://dance-teacher.com/factoring-in-fitness/.
- "Kick It Up Long Beach". classpass.com. 22 August 2022. https://classpass.com/studios/kick-it-up-long-beach.
- "More Than Just Great Dancing® certification". More Than Just Great Dancing®. 22 August 2022. https://www.kickitup.com/newimages/MTJD.pdf.
- "Grace Edwards, founder of Talent for Epilepsy, is raising awareness for the disorder". The Orange County Register. 22 August 2022. https://www.ocregister.com/2017/03/15/grace-edwards-founder-of-talent-for-epilepsy-is-raising-awareness-for-the-disorder/.