Bai was raised in Chennai, India. She was the first person in her family to pursue post-secondary education; her female relatives typically married in adolescence. Ms. Bai holds a master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering Specializing in Development of Modular Products, and an MBA in Social and Sustainable Enterprises.
Due to unsanitary birth conditions, Bai developed an infection after giving birth to her first child which "caused her to suffer for years." This inspired her to help rural women who needed access to healthcare.
Bai founded the company Ayzh in 2010, with the goal of bringing simplicity, dignity, and access to the poorest women in India via their Clean Birth Kit in a Purse by ensuring a safe and sanitary delivery.
Bai was named a TED Fellow in 2009, an Ashoka Maternal Health fellow in 2010–2011, and an Echoing Green fellow in 2012. In 2011, her design for JANMA, a clean birth kit, was selected by INDEX Awards as one of 61 products "globally designed to improve life."
- "JANMA Clean Birth Kit in a Purse | D-Lab". https://d-lab.mit.edu/scale-ups/clean-birth-kit.
- "Zubaida Bai - Global Philanthropy Forum" (in en-US). https://philanthropyforum.org/people/zubaida-bai/.
- "Ayzh founder Zubaida Bai on the 'birth kits' helping women in rural India have hygienic deliveries". https://www.firstpost.com/living/ayzh-founder-zubaida-bai-on-the-birth-kits-helping-women-in-rural-india-have-hygienic-deliveries-5236291.html.
- "Saving mothers' lives: 5 questions with Zubaida Bai" (in en-US). 2016-03-17. http://www.engineeringforchange.org/saving-new-mothers-lives-with-birth-kits-five-questions-with-zubaida-bai/.
- "Chicago Ideas: Zubaida Bai". https://www.chicagoideas.com/speakers/10183.
- "Empowering Women Through a Simple Purse | USAID Impact". https://blog.usaid.gov/2016/03/empowering-women-through-a-simple-purse/.
- Moses, Nelson Vinod (2014-08-09). "Zubaida Bai | A pack of good health". http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/9pamPg91z2XhmuFtiWYV6O/Zubaida-Bai--A-pack-of-good-health.html.
- "Women and children first: Fellows Friday with Zubaida Bai, who creates lifesaving kits for maternal health" (in en-US). 2013-08-16. http://blog.ted.com/women-and-children-first-fellows-friday-with-zubaida-bai-who-creates-lifesaving-kits-for-maternal-health/.
- "Zubaida Bai (India) with Ashoka USA Fellow Rebecca Onie | Ashoka - Innovators for the Public". https://www.ashoka.org/zubaida-bai-rebecca-onie.
- Tavakoli-Far, Nastaran (2015-01-29). "The entrepreneurs helping girls in the developing world" (in en-GB). BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-31002226.
- "Zubaida Bai | TED Fellow | TED.com". http://www.ted.com/profiles/254505/fellow.
- "Indian bags UN honour for corporate sustainability initiative". Business Standard India. Press Trust of India. 2016-06-24. http://www.business-standard.com/article/international/indian-bags-un-honour-for-corporate-sustainability-initiative-116062400246_1.html.
- "Zubaida Bai | UN Global Compact". https://www.unglobalcompact.org/sdgs/sdgpioneers/2016/zubaida-bai.