Thorncrest house built in 1854, was one of the oldest buildings in Toronto, until it was demolished in 1999. William_Pearce_Howland, who would later be one of Canada's fathers of Confederation, built this relatively modest home as a summer retreat in 1854, one Template:Convert/hectare of land near the corner of Islington Avenue and Rathburn Road.
Developer Marshall Foss acquired the parcel of land in 1945, and divided it into parcels of .5 acres (Template:Convert/hectare), leased to home buyers, but he preserved the historic Thorncrest house, which, sadly, was later torn down, in 1999, against the advice of conservationists.
- Ellen Moorhouse (2008-04-24). "Community is a place out of time". Toronto Star. https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2008/04/24/community_is_a_place_out_of_time.html. Retrieved 2018-05-20. "The enclave, soon surrounded by other suburbs, was the brainchild of an RCAF wing commander and former ad executive from Montreal, Marshall Foss, who purchased Thorncrest Park farm, which had been the summer home of Sir William Pearce Howland, a Father of Confederation and lieutenant-governor of Ontario."
- Denise Harris. "Once Visionary Thorncrest Village a Victim of Modern Development". Etobicoke Guardian. http://www.etobicokehistorical.com/once-visionary-thorncrest-village-a-victim-of-modern-development.html. Retrieved 2018-05-21. "In 1840, an enterprising young man named William Pearce Howland leased 40 hectares of farmland between Islington and Kipling Avenues, north of Rathburn Road, as a summer estate he named “Thorncrest Park.” He purchased the property in 1853, and the following year built the frame house seen in the above photo. Built in an Ontario vernacular style, it had a multi-gabled roof decorated with classical brackets and an elegant front entrance with flush columns and a pediment. Unseen under the siding was a rare “stacked plank” style of wood construction."