Man of Many
Man of Many is an Australian independent digital lifestyle publication.
Man of Many was founded in December 2012 by Scott Purcell and Frank Arthur as a publication covering consumer product news, technology and pop-culture content. The original concept behind the website was to report product news and announcements but the platform has since expanded to feature long-form editorial, interviews and local news and lifestyle content, on community issues such as men’s mental health and sustainability.
In 2018, the publication announced a rebrand and launched a new website design in partnership with Sydney based creative agency Canvas Group. In 2020, former Octomedia journalist Nick Hall joined the online lifestyle publication as digital editor. While former Men's Fitness commercial director, Tim Fernandes joined as Sales and partnerships manager.
In January 2021, Man of Many publicly expressed concern around the impact of the proposed News Media Bargaining Code on independent publishers in Australia as well as in its formal submission to the Senate Economics Legislation Committee. The publication was also strongly opposed to Facebook blocking news content on its platform in Australia in February 2021 as a response to the proposed code.
In April 2021, Man of Many launched an e-commerce store called the Man of Many Shop. In July 2021, the publication partnered with other large digital publishers in the Australian market to pledge to publish clear and concise messaging to help drive COVID-19 vaccinations.
In August 2021, Man of Many appointed former Val Morgan digital advertising & partnerships manager, Ante Pedic as agency sales manager.
In September 2021, Man of Many won Media Brand of the Year in the 2021 Mumbrella Publish Awards and was announced as a member of the Digital Publishers’ Alliance (DPA) which will collectively advocate for leading independent publications in Australia around key industry issues.
Awards and recognition
Man of Many has been recognised with several industry awards. Notable among them include:
- AFR Fast 100 List | Australian Financial Review, 2021
- Media Brand of the Year | Mumbrella Publish Awards, 2021
- Consumer Publication of the Year | Mumbrella Publish Awards, 2021
- Newsletter of the Year | Mumbrella Publish Awards, 2021
- Website of the Year | Mumbrella Publish Awards, 2020
- "Independent publication Man of Many on becoming THE men's lifestyle site - AdNews" (in en). https://www.adnews.com.au/news/independent-publication-man-of-many-on-becoming-the-men-s-lifestyle-site.
- Cain, Alexandra. "The bloggers making the big bucks". The Sydney Morning Herald. https://www.smh.com.au/business/small-business/the-bloggers-making-the-big-bucks-20160511-gos8p1.html.
- "How This Side-Hustle Became Australia's Biggest Men's Website". https://news.yahoo.com/side-hustle-became-australias-biggest-075156448.html?guccounter=1.
- "How Many Of Many Grew 300 During The Pandemic". 29 April 2021. https://www.latestly.com/india/news/how-many-of-many-grew-300-during-the-pandemic-2450104.html.
- "Man of Many launches global e-commerce store". 2021-05-10. https://mumbrella.com.au/man-of-many-launches-global-e-commerce-store-681969.
- "Man Of Many Appoints Nick Hall As Digital Editor". 2020-03-03. https://www.bandt.com.au/man-of-many-appoints-nick-hall-as-digital-editor/.
- "Man of Many appoints Tim Fernandes as sales and partnerships manager". 14 August 2020. https://mumbrella.com.au/man-of-many-appoints-tim-fernandes-as-sales-and-partnerships-manager-638758.
- "Smaller websites and independent media worried they may lose out from media bargaining code" (in en-AU). ABC Radio. 20 January 2021. https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/pm/smaller-websites-worried-about-media-bargaining-code/13075654.
- Visentin, Zoe Samios, Lisa (26 January 2021). "Google backflips on news product launch amid political battle" (in en). The Sydney Morning Herald. https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/google-backflips-on-news-product-launch-amid-political-battle-20210126-p56wyc.html.
- "Don't bother suing Facebook, blocked companies warned" (in en). Australian Financial Review. 22 February 2021. https://www.afr.com/technology/don-t-bother-suing-facebook-blocked-companies-warned-20210221-p574i5.
- "Lifestyle publication Man of Many launches ecommerce platform - AdNews" (in en). https://www.adnews.com.au/news/lifestyle-publication-man-of-many-launches-ecommerce-platform.
- "Australian publishers partner in joint COVID mission and coverage pledge". Mumbrella. 20 July 2021. https://mumbrella.com.au/australian-publishers-partner-in-joint-covid-mission-and-coverage-pledge-694102.
- "Man of Many announces Ante Pedic as agency sales manager". mediaweek.com.au. 10 August 2021. https://www.mediaweek.com.au/man-of-many-announces-ante-pedic-as-agency-sales-manager/.
- "Mumbrella Publish Award winners 2021" (in en). 9 September 2021. https://mumbrella.com.au/mumbrella-publish-award-winners-2021-702582.
- "Digital Publishers Alliance launched with tech giant backing" (in en). 14 September 2021. https://www.targetedmediaservices.com.au/digital-publishers-alliance-launched-with-tech-giant-backing/.
- "Fast 100 and Fast Starters winners revealed". March 22, 2020. https://www.afr.com/work-and-careers/management/fast-100-and-fast-starters-winners-revealed-20200219-p54269.
- Darren Wells,"Pedestrian.TV awarded Brand of the Year at Mumbrella Publish Awards". mumbrella.com.au. 5 November 2020. https://mumbrella.com.au/pedestrian-tv-awarded-brand-of-the-year-at-mumbrella-publish-awards-656872.