Before starting her entrepreneurial journey, Etienne worked as a financial comptroller.  While helping her daughter navigate her first period, Etienne realized that there was a lack of high-quality, comfortable, and discrete feminine hygiene and personal care products. That’s when she commenced her research to develop leak-proof and stain-free apparel that provides protection against menstruation and incontinence.
Etienne developed a patented technology to design leak-proof, discrete, and comfortable period apparel. It features a built-in absorbent organic cotton liner that is perfectly angled to collect menstrual flow, offering protection against leaks and stains.
In December 2015, Etienne bootstrapped PantyProp with an initial investment of $25,000. She launched it as a femtech e-commerce company selling period underwear for teenagers and adult women. By 2019, the company had achieved $10 million in sales and over 140,000 customers across the globe. Etienne rebranded her company as Ruby Love and introduced other products such as swimwear, loungewear, activewear, and incontinence boxer briefs.
In July 2019, Etienne secured a $15 million funding from The Craftory, a $300 million global investment fund. It includes an initial Series A funding of $8 million - the fourth-largest rounded ever for a company founded by a woman of color.
- Segran, Elizabeth (2018-02-23). "“I Am The Underdog”: How The Founder Of PantyProp Bucked The System" (in en-US). https://www.fastcompany.com/40524562/i-am-the-underdog-how-the-founder-of-pantyprop-bucked-the-system.
- "Is the traditional VC model broken? This ‘software-infused’ firm just raised a $150M fund to fix ‘medieval’ process" (in en-US). 2017-11-28. https://www.geekwire.com/2017/traditional-vc-model-broken-software-infused-firm-just-raised-150m-fund-fix/.
- Hill, Selena (2019-07-23). "Black-Owned Period Panty Company, Ruby Love, Secures $15 Million Investment" (in en-US). https://www.blackenterprise.com/black-owned-period-panty-15-million-investment-ruby-love/.
- Jaramillo, Estrella. "This Founder Bootstrapped To $10M, Now Raises Series A To Disrupt Period Apparel" (in en). https://www.forbes.com/sites/estrellajaramillo/2019/07/29/founder-bootstrapped-to-10-m-now-raises-series-a-to-disrupt-period-apparel/.
- "Crystal Etienne: CEO and Founder, Ruby Love" (in en). 2019-11-20. https://www.realhealthmag.com/article/crystal-etienne-ceo-founder-ruby-love.
- "Black History Month Spotlight: Ruby Love Founder & CEO Crystal Etienne Raised $15 Million To Launch Pioneering Women’s Period Apparel Line - The Shade Room". https://theshaderoom.com/black-history-month-spotlight-ruby-love-founder-ceo-crystal-etienne-raised-15-million-to-launch-pioneering-womens-period-apparel-line/?fbclid=IwAR3L3_-B3crofSeBmAuhS_jeI1gHHrFCaiuoA9R9PoblSmoH5usrbxd2qxA.
- Johari, Sharvari (2019-08-21). "#WCW Crystal Ettienne — A multimillion dollar business that started from a heavy flow" (in en). https://medium.com/allraise/wcw-crystal-ettienne-a-multimillion-dollar-business-that-started-from-a-heavy-flow-667ab7a6b8aa.