Commander is an homage to 1985 Transformers Dinobot Grimlock. He shares a similar design to the Generation 1 Grimlock toy, whose function was Dinobot Commander.
According to the tech specs given on the back on the box Commander is the highest ranking Dinorobot and his only weakness is his low speed.
In May 2005 Justitoys announced that Commander would be released after Desert Warrior Snarl. They places a teaser image on their web site, saying it was expected to ship in late July 2006. He was called "Dino-Bot Commander Grim-Lock".
In July 2006 Justitoys put prototype images of Commander on their web site.
Commander was released in September 2006.
Santa Commander was released in December 2006.
Reprolabels has released a set of labels for this toy.
The Dinorobots are a rowdy, arrogant, lowbrow, disobedient band of warriors that some of their allies would rather scrap than deal with. They're also one of the most devastatingly powerful and close-knit combat units in the army, being incredibly powerful in robot mode and taking alternate modes base on the dinosaurs, the most powerful creatures ever to roam the Earth.
- JustIToys Smallest Dinorobots Commander (2006)
- A new mold based on the Generation 1 Grimock toy. Turns from humanoid robot to robotic dinosaur. Standing 3 inches tall, this toy is about 1/96 scale of the height Grimlock is depicted in the Transformers TV series.
- Comes with a collector card, instructions, stickers, a "laser sword" and gun. This release of the mold is missing the missile launcher and missiles which shipped with later versions of the mold. They shipped with the first release of Bombardier.
- The box art for Commander includes screen shots of Grimlock of the Transformers animated series as well as a picture of Commander along side Smallest Megatron. It also promotes the upcoming release of Jungle Warrior.
- JustIToys Smallest Dinorobots Santa Commander (2006)
- A recolor of the first release done in blue with a Santa themed hat.
- JustIToys Smallest Dinorobots Reindeer Commander and Bombardier Elf (2008)
- A recolor of Commander and Bombardier in a Christmas theme. A TFsource exclusive sold at Christmas 2007, and shipped in March 2008.
- JustIToys Smallest Dinorobots Dark Retribution Black Version (2009)
- A five-pack with the Smallest Dinorobots in a black recolor. Limited to 500 pieces.
- JustIToys Smallest Dinorobots Dark Retribution Black Version red (2009)
- Randomly inserted among the black versions, but the toys are red. Limited to 10 pieces.
- JustIToys Smallest Dinorobots Comic Version (2010)
- A five-pack of the Smallest Dinorobots in a Marvel Comics accurate colors. Limited to 300 pieces.
- Justitoys WST Dinotobots (2012)
- A five-pack of the original versions of the WST Dinorobots. Limited to 800 pieces.
- Reprolabels Smallest Transformers Grimlock
- A set of labels intended for Commander and his recolors.
- Jesse (April 30th, 2006). "[email protected]". http://www.tfwire.com/ (Podcast). TFWire. http://tfwire.com/blog/?p=103.
- Vangelus (June 10th, 2010). "[email protected]". http://www.tfw2005.com/ (Podcast). TFW2005. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/wtf-tfw-transformers-podcast/308539-wtf-tfw-99-june-10-2010-a.html.
- Commander at VNC toys