Alex Chapman was a citizen of the United Kingdom best known for his 2002-2006 marriage to Russian Anna Kushchenko, who turned out to be a spy. His wife took his surname, and gained British citizenship, through their marriage.
In 2010, after his ex-wife was charged with spying, in the United States, Chapman told reporters the charges didn't surprise him. He also told reporters that their sex life had included kinky elements, including whips and nipple-clamps. Friends of Anna, such as Natalya Zolotova, critized Chapman for revealing these private elements. Zolotova called him a "rag, not a man".
His ex-wife's response was that theirs had been a genuine love-match, that she had fallen in love with his sensitivity. She described him as a man who hadn't figured out who he was, yet. She expressed shock and dismay that intimate photos of her that Chapman retained, including of her wearing BDSM gear, had been published, after her arrest, and speculated that he had been forced or tricked into sharing them.
Chapman died, in Bournemouth, Dorset, in May, 2015. In March 2018, after Russian dissident Sergei Skripal, and his daughter Yulia Skripal, almost died after an attempt to poison them, there was a call to re-examine the deaths of a dozen other individuals with ties to Russia - including Chapman. His family asserted that they did not believe there was anything suspicious about his death. The local police report said he died of multiple drug overdoses, and noted the house he died in was not his home.
- Luke Harding; Tom Parfitt (2010-07-02). "Anna Chapman's husband: 'She became secretive'". The Guardian (Moscow, Volgograd). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jul/02/anna-chapman-husband-fbi-spy-suspect. Retrieved 2020-03-10. "Alex Chapman, 30, who was married to Anna for four years, said yesterday he was questioned by a security service agent on Wednesday about his ex-wife. The trainee psychologist said he had met his wife at a party in London in 2001 and married five months later in Moscow. They divorced in 2006 but remained in contact."
- Gordon Rayner; Andy Bloxham (2 July 2010). "'Russia spy' Anna Chapman's husband: I thought I knew her". The Daily Telegraph (London). Archived from the original on 2010-07-05. https://web.archive.org/web/20100705103713/http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/7866824/Russia-spy-Anna-Chapmans-husband-I-thought-I-knew-her.html. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- "Russian spy Anna Chapman is stripped of UK citizenship". BBC News. 13 July 2010. Archived from the original on 13 July 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100713185418/http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/10620352.stm. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- Ellie Cambridge; Brittany Vonow (2018-03-17). "SPY'S EX DEAD Russian spy Anna Chapman’s Brit ex-husband Alex Chapman ‘died of drug overdose’". The Sun (UK). https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5835656/russian-spy-anna-chapmans-brit-ex-husband-alex-chapman-died-of-drug-overdose/. Retrieved 2020-03-10. "When it emerged she had been spying Alex said “it wasn’t that much of a surprise”, adding it even made sense."
- Lukas I Alpert (2010-07-06). "Russian spy ring: Pals of Anna Chapman rip ex-husband Alex Chapman for discussing sex life". New York Daily News. https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/russian-spy-ring-pals-anna-chapman-rip-ex-husband-alex-chapman-discussing-sex-life-article-1.463887. Retrieved 2020-07-29. "'He was not a man but a rag. The way he is behaving now at this difficult period in her life is only further proof of that. Besmirching your former wife like this is base,' Zolotova added."
- Lukas I. Alpert (5 July 2010). "Russian spy babe's hot affair: Anna Chapman was kinky and 'great in bed,' says ex husband Alex". New York Daily News (New York City). Archived from the original on 8 July 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100708161826/http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/07/05/2010-07-05_kinky_spy_anna_was_great_in_bed_sez_her_ex_sizzling_days_of_whips__clamps.html. Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- "Anna Chapman’s Ex-Husband Speaks About Her Past". Huffington Post. 2010-07-03. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/03/anna-chapmans-ex-husband_n_634747.html. Retrieved 2010-07-17. "Chapman, who is English and was married to Anna for four years, from 2002 to 2006, told the Telegraph: 'Whether or not she’s a spy, who can say, but when I read about her being arrested it wasn’t that much of a surprise to be honest.'"
- "Briton speaks about Russian spy suspect wife". BBC News. 2010-07-02. Archived from the original on 17 July 2010. https://web.archive.org/web/20100717071529/http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10486696. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- Jay Akbar (2018-03-26). "SCARLET SPY Wis Anna Chapman, when was the Russian spy swapped with poisoned Sergei Skripal and where is she now?". The Sun (UK). https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5734867/anna-chapman-russian-spy-sergei-skripal-swap-poison/. Retrieved 2020-03-11. "It was then when she met public schoolboy Alex Chapman, who she married in 2002, at an underground rave party in London's Docklands."
- Tom Davidson (2018-03-14). "British ex-husband of Russian secret agent Anna Chapman died aged just 36". The Mirror (UK). Archived from the original on 2018-03-14. https://web.archive.org/web/20180314225031/https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/british-ex-husband-russian-secret-12188423. Retrieved 2020-03-10. "Alex Chapman is believed to have died in Bournemouth two years ago but his family insist his death was from natural causes and there was nothing suspicious."
- Harley Tamplin (2018-03-14). "Family insist death of Russian spy Anna Chapman’s husband, 36, was not suspicious". Metro (UK). https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/14/british-ex-husband-spy-anna-chapman-died-two-years-ago-aged-just-36-7388025/. Retrieved 2020-03-11. "A member of his family told Mail Online: ‘It was very distressing at the time, but he died from natural causes. There was nothing suspicious about his death. His father dealt with everything and it was very sad but I don’t want to go into any further details.’"
- Simon de Bruxelles (2018-03-15). "Russia: Ex-husband of swapped spy Anna Chapman died at 36". The Times of London. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russia-ex-husband-of-swapped-spy-anna-chapman-died-at-36-p9vmctxjt. Retrieved 2020-03-11.
- Ben Youell (2018-03-14). "Ex-husband of Putin spy girl DEAD at 36: Anna Chapman's ex died prematurely, family reveal". Daily Star. https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/russia-spy-news-anna-chapman-16854024. Retrieved 2020-03-11. "When it came out that his wife was a spy, Alex said “it wasn’t much of a surprise”, claiming it even made sense as he pieced together their life together."