Transformers: Generation 1
Zigzag is a beach bum who transforms into a twin electrostatic overloader rifle. He is partnered with the Decepticon Needlenose.
In the Marvel Comics Transformers stories Nebulans are depicted as human-looking aliens, while in the animated series they are green-skinned aliens. In the Ladybird Books stories the Nebulans are human-sized robots.
Zigzag should not be confused with the GoBot Zig Zag.
Zigzag was an unhappy hovercraft repairman on Nebulos. His inability to properly use a laser welder made him particularly ill-suited for his job. Usually the vehicles that he was assigned to repair were worse off after he worked on them. His fellow workers ridiculed him for his ineptitude. They derisively called him "Ziggy" rather than his real name. Seeing an alliance with the Decepticons as a way to get even with his tormentors, he eagerly offered his services to the leader of the Nebulos-based Decepticons, Scorponok, who happily accepted him into the ranks of his warriors. After putting him through the bio-engineering process, Scorponok paired him with Needlenose. The Nebulan gave himself the code name "Zigzag," which he thought sounded strong and put an ironic twist to his insulting nickname. However, the Decepticons soon found his services to be as wanting as had the Nebulans. Zigzag transforms into a twin electrostatic overloader rifle, which can disable a mechanical opponent by flooding his circuits with a surge of electricity, causing him to overload and shut down. Some of his victims even explode. However, Zigzag's accuracy is poor, so most targets escape unscathed. Zigzag often runs out of energy before he hits a target.
Note: Events exclusive to the Marvel UK Transformers comics appear in italics.
Needlenose appeared in issue #229 and #239 of the UK Marvel Comics Transformers comic, but he used guns that did not appear to be his Targetmaster partners.
Needlenose and his Targetmasters had a biography printed in the back of issue #64 of the US Marvel Transformers comic. 
- Generation 1 Needlenose with Sunbeam and Zigzag
- Timelines Needlenose with Sunbeam and Zputty (2016)
- Transformers 62 (January 1990), Marvel Comics
- Transformers 64 (March 1990), Marvel Comics
- Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye 5 (September 4, 2003), Dreamwave Productions
- Forest Lee (w), Dan Khanna (p), Jake Isenberg (i). "Cheap Shots" Transformers: Timelines v2, (October 27, 2008), Fun Publications
- Lee's Guide to Loose 1988 Transformers: The Autobots. Lee's Toy Review magazine, issue #207, February 2010
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd.. p. 74. ISBN 0764313649.