Vasan Healthcare is a private healthcare organization that provides multidisciplinary medical services at approximately 200 clinics and hospitals across southern India. Its specialties include eye care, eye surgery, dental care and oral surgery.
Vasan Healthcare has been in operation since 1947. In 2023, it merged with ASG Eye Hospitals to form one of the largest private medical firms in South Asia.
Vasan Healthcare offers a wide range of eye, dental, and surgical services to more than 6 million patients annually. Its specialties include:
- Surgical and nonsurgical glaucoma treatment
- Retinal surgery
- Cornea treatment and surgery
- Pediatric eye services
- Neuro-ophthalmological services (treatment of the ocular nerve and related structures)
- Contact lenses and eyeglasses
- Vision rehabilitation therapies
- Preventive dental services
- Dental implants and surgery
- Oral and ENT (ear, nose, and throat) surgery
Vasan Healthcare operates 170 eye care clinics, approximately 30 dental service clinics, and two multi-service hospitals across southern India.
The organization serves four Indian states and has plans to open additional clinics in new regions in the coming years. Its headquarters are in Trichy, Tamil Nadu.
Vasan Healthcare began operation in 1947 with a single pharmacy location in Trichy. Its founder was A R Murugaiah, a former MP in Karur.
Mr. Murugaiah grew Vasan Healthcare into one of southern India’s largest independently operated medical store chains, with dozens of locations by the time of his death in 1991. His son, Dr. A M Arun, took over the business at that time.
Dr. Arun diversified the organization into a multidisciplinary medical service provider. This change was reflected in the incorporation of Vasan Healthcare Group and the opening of the firm’s first multi-service eye hospital, both in 2002.
During Dr. Arun’s tenure, Vasan Healthcare Group grew at a rapid pace, opening an average of more than 10 new clinics and hospitals per year. By the time of his death in late 2020, the organization had nearly 200 locations across four southern Indian states.
ASG Eye Hospitals acquired Vasan Healthcare Group in 2023 for an undisclosed sum. The company continues to operate under the Vasan brand, now with a substantially larger service area.
Companies that have invested in Vasan Healthcare
Vasan Healthcare has been associated with several prominent investment organizations since its inception. These are the most significant:
- GIC: A large investment entity that allocates capital on behalf of the government of Singapore. It was a significant early investor in Vasan Healthcare.
- Sequoia Capital India: The Indian affiliate of U.S.-based Sequoia Capital. It was also a significant early investor in Vasan Healthcare.
- Westbridge Capital: This Indian private equity firm’s WestBridge Ventures II fund was an early growth engine for Vasan Healthcare.
- Investcorp: Investcorp was a major investor in ASG Eye Hospitals during the health system’s growth phase. ASG later merged with Vasan Healthcare.
- ASG Eye Hospitals: Following their merger in early 2023, ASG Eye Hospitals is the latest investor in Vasan Healthcare.
The organization has raised some $122 million to date across three funding rounds.
- Vasan Eye Care Hospital, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- CB Insights
- Instagram (Vasan Healthcare Sri Lanka)
- Instagram (Vasan Eye Care Hospital)