Transformers: Generation 1
Tailgate's biography paints him as a racer, believing 55 mph speed limits are a punishment for scouts like him - and normal cars, who he doesn't entirely realise aren't sentient beings.
Tailgate was only shown once in the The Transformers series in the episode, "Five Faces of Darkness, Part 5". He was among the Earth-based Autobots forced to defend the Ark from Trypticon. The Autobots failed and Trypticon destroyed the entire volcano as well as the Ark.
Tailgate had a brief cameo in Dreamwave's Generation One ongoing series, as a new recruit to the Autobots.
Tailgate appears in issue #245 of the Marvel UK Transformers comic, along with fellow Autobot cadets Flattop and Subsea. Flattop had talked his two friends into braving the depths of Cybertron's disused sewer system - known as the Underworld - as part of an ancient (and outdated) Autobot initiation to prove their bravery. This quickly went wrong, as they encountered horribly deformed and sadistic mutant Transformers, who killed both Flattop and Subsea. Tailgate managed to kill the mutants just as his fellow Autobot cadets Outback and Pipes arrived to rescue him. Although Tailgate's part in this story ended there, the battle had disturbed even worse creatures in the depths: demons, which the Autobot Classic Pretenders, Emirate Xaaron and the Firecons had to team up to deal with in the next two issues.
- Generation 1 Mini-Bot Tailgate (1986)
- Hasbro Transformers: Generations Thrilling 30 Legends Tailgate with Groundbuster (2014)
- This toy was repurposed as Shattered Glass Nightracer with Shakar.
In Transformers Prime Tailgate was a member of Delta Team during an unnamed battle. He failed to take out a sniper, forcing Arcee to enter hand-to-hand combat. As the two discussed where to rendezvous, Arcee was captured by Airachnid. Later, Tailgate was also captured and brought before the two of them. Airachnid threatened to kill Tailgate if she was not told the co-ordinates of an impending attack. After Arcee claimed she did not know them, Airachnid made good on that threat. When Airachnid and Arcee later encountered each other on Earth, Airachnid tormented her foe by bringing up what happened to Tailgate.
- Prime Cyberverse Legion Autobot Tailgate (2012)
- A recolor of Prime Cyberverse Legion Cliffjumper.
An evil mirror universe version of Tailgate exists in the Shattered Glass series. Tailgate refuses to believe organic life is sentient, and treats them as animals or pets.
Tailgate first appeared in the story Transhuman by Fun Publication
- The blue 2007 version of Clocker was considered by the Transformers Collectors Club to be repurposed as Shattered Glass Tailgate.
- Hasbro Transformers: Timelines Nightracer with Shakar (2015)
- This toy was repurposed as Shattered Glass Tailgate.
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd.. p. 40. ISBN 0764313649.