Sujata Sahu is an Indian social entrepreneur. Having worked as a teacher, she set up the 17000 ft Foundation in order to improve school conditions in remote villages in Ladakh. The non-governmental organisation has provided books and playgrounds to schools and arranged volunteer teachers. Sahu was awarded the 2015 Nari Shakti Puraskar in recognition of her work.
Sahu worked in the corporate sector in the United States for nine years before moving to Gurgaon and becoming a teacher at the Shri Ram School in NCR Delhi, teaching mathematics and computer science. In June 2010, she went on a solo trek in Ladakh and when she experienced high-altitude pulmonary edema she stopped to recover at a remote village.  Having witnessed the conditions there, she decided to set up a non-governmental organisation (NGO) to provide improved facilities for the local school children.
17000 ft Foundation
Sahu set up the 17000 ft Foundation with her husband Sandeep Sahu and Dawa Jora in 2011. They named the NGO after a trek they made which reached 17,000 feet above sea level. Having made a volunteer-run study they identified and mapped 600 schools across Ladakh. The foundation has provided playgrounds to 140 schools and donated libraries to 230 schools, giving books in Hindu, English and Urdu. Since there were no books in Bhoti, the Ladakhi language, in 2015 the foundation funded translations and supplied 21,000 storybooks. In 2013, the foundation launched the Voluntour program, in which volunteer teachers are matched with schools. The volunteers are limited to one per school per year. For her social entrepreneurship Sahu received the 2015 Nari Shakti Puraskar. In 2019, she was honoured by NITI Aayog with the Women Transforming India Award.
- Chakrabarty, Roshni (21 December 2018). "This Iron Lady's haunting Ladakh trek is helping her transform govt schools at 17000 ft" (in en). India Today. https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/how-i-made-it/story/iron-lady-sujata-sahu-transforming-ladakh-mountain-schools-html-1414511-2018-12-21.
- Joshi, Komal (24 July 2020). "Making Education and Technology Reach the Remote Villages of Ladakh". https://thestoriesofchange.com/sujata-sahu-17000-ft-education/.
- Pais, Nichola. "Sujata Sahu: Transforming lives of thousands of children in remote Ladakh" (in en). Scoo News. https://www.scoonews.com/news/sujata-sahu-transforming-lives-of-thousands-of-children-in-remote-ladakh-1847.
- Burman, Partho (8 November 2014). "A teacher treks to a high altitude desert, only to reach out to underprivileged students" (in en). The Weekend Leader. https://www.theweekendleader.com/Heroism/2038/height-of-concern.html.
- Ramesh, Rashmi (19 May 2018). "Take a break, opt for some 'me-time': Brilliant options to make solo travel a dream". The Economic Times. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/magazines/panache/take-a-break-opt-for-some-me-time-brilliant-options-to-make-solo-travel-a-dream/articleshow/64230836.cms.