Sky Shadow (Transformers)
|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.
Sky Shadow is the name of five fictional characters from the Transformers series. The original Sky Shadow was a Predacon Fuzor introduced in the Beast Wars line in 1998. The name was later used for other, unrelated characters.
An intelligent, brilliant colored robot, Sky Shadow is one of the most charismatic and popular of the Predacons. A good statesman and leader, he acts as one of Megatron's most trusted counselors. In actuality however, he despises everyone and wants nothing more than to rule the Predacons with his own, "more imaginative techniques." He is an expert in concealment and surprise-assault tactics; with reptilian patience he can lie for days in wait and then suddenly attack with a powerful turbo-missile, or convert to robot form and overwhelm unsuspecting Maximals with his devastating saw-edged pincer. Powerful wings allow him to hover over targets, giving him a distinct advantage with targeting accuracy and in reconnaissance missions.
Sky Shadow's stasis pod was among those who were launched into orbit around prehistoric Earth in the Beast Wars series pilot.
His first fictional appearance was in the IDW Beast Wars comic, where he was depicted as for Maximal protoform from the Axalon who was turned into a Predacon with a shell program by Magmatron. He was one of the five aerial Predacons used by Ravage to scout out the Maximal position, with Sky Shadow eventually finding them. However, the resultant battle swung against the Predacons when Maximal reinforcements under Torca arrived, with Sky Shadow being seen battling Sonar.
He appears among the Predacons on the cover of the first issue of the sequel story Beast Wars: The Ascending. In Beast Wars: The Ascending Armordillo, B'Boom, Bantor, Buzzclaw, Cybershark, Lazorbeak, Manterror, Optimus Minor, Powerpinch, Ramulus, Razorbeast, Retrax, Claw Jaw, Sky Shadow, Spittor, Stinkbomb and Terragator were wounded in battle and left on Earth. Together they fought and defeated the Blendtrons Drancron, Elephaorpha and Rartorarta. Although Razorbeast survived the battle he was infected with Rartorarta's maddening sting and had to be put down by Optimus Minor to stop him from attacking his allies.
An alternate version of Sky Shadow appeared in a Unicron Trilogy variant of the Beast Wars, where he was a member of the Predacon Secret Police who filled the same role as Ravage in the Beast Wars animated series.
- Beast Wars Deluxe Fuzor Sky Shadow (1998)
Sky Shadow was the name of an Autobot Air Team member who was able to combine to form Superion Maximus in Transformers: Energon. Although he did appear in the cartoon series, he was depicted as a non-sentient drone commanded by team leader Storm Jet and was largely only used when the teams combined form was required. Sky Shadow is the twin of fellow Air Team member Terradive.
Sky Shadow is called Slingshot in Japan, and is considered a homage to the Generation 1 Aerialbot of that name.
- Energon Basic Sky Shadow (2005)
- In Japan the five Air Team members were sold together in a gift set, but in the U.S. they were sold individually over several waves. With Sky Shadow being the last released just as the toy line was concluded, he is the hardest to find and fetches a hefty sum at online stores. An actual A-10 has a wingspan of 1753 centimeters while this toy has a wingspan of 13 centimeters, making this toy 1:135 scale. With the toy standing 12 centimeters tall in robot mode it would mean he stands 1620 centimeters (53 feet 2 inches) tall.
- This toy was later recolored into Timelines Skyfall, a collectors club exclusive.
Sky Shadow is the name of a Decepticon who is able to transform into Cargo Plane - the same as the Autobot Jetfire in Transformers: Cybertron. Sky Shadow did not appear in the TV series and is intended to represent Jetfire, undercover in a new color scheme, infiltrating the Decepticon ranks.
An often-overlooked observer who prefers to remain in the background, silent and unnoticed. Few who know Sky Shadow fully appreciate how dangerous he is. Even among his Decepticon fellows, Sky Shadow doesn’t quite fit in. While most other Decepticons prefer to bully, boast and plot against one another, he waits, watching, collecting information and laying his plans until he is certain of victory over his enemies. For in reality he is the Autobot second-in-command Jetfire! Tired of his passive role as commander of the Autobot earth forces, he has gone underground and taken on a new identity in an attempt to bring down the Decepticons from inside.
- Cybertron Ultra Sky Shadow (2006)
- A redeco and slight remold of Cybertron Jetfire. He was later redecoed into movie Jetstorm.
- A real An-225 has a wing span of 8840 centimeters, while this toy has a wingspan of 27 centimeters, making this toy have a scale of about 1/327. With the toy robot mode standing 19 centimeters tall, the actual robot mode of this character would stand about 6220 centimeters (204 feet) tall.
- Universe Mini-Con Shy Shadow
- A recolor of Classic Steel Wind.
- Lee's Action Figure New and Toy Review issue #71, September 1998, page 34
- "Beast Wars Part 1". Written by Bob Forward. Beast Wars. First-run syndication. September 16, 1996. No. 1, season 1.
- Monsters and Critics - Creators of Beast Wars are Back
- Warman's Flea Market Price Guide by Ellen Tischbein Schroy, Don Johnson, 2001
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd.. p. 126. ISBN 0764313649.
- Stalking The Prey: A Guide to Hasbro's Beast Wars by Nicholas R. Messina, Jr., Lee's Action Figure News and Toy Review #71, page 34-40, September 1998
- In and out of package images of the Cybertron Jetfire repaint!
- TFW2005.com - ROTF Arcee Bio, New Universe Mini-Con 10-Pack