Shelby Herchak is a Canadian woman, who was convicted of killing her baby, and served several years in jail, only to learn the pathologist whose testimony played a key role in her conviction had a review panel challenger his determinations in her case, and several other cases.
He had testified the post-mortem he conducted on the child had found evidence of abuse, prior to the child's death.
Herchak was 18 years old, in 2010, when her 28 day old boy Daniel died. She pled guilty to manslaughter, on April 30, 2014, following a plea deal. Initially the prosecution had charged her with second degree murder. She was sentenced on May 20, 2014, to 5.5 years. She was granted credit for three years she spent in custody, awaiting trial.
- "Police probe infant's 'suspicious' death". CBC News (Calgary). 2010-08-09. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/police-probe-infant-s-suspicious-death-1.921882. Retrieved 2020-01-12. "CBC News has learned that the Calgary boy was less than a month old. An autopsy will be conducted later this week."
- "Slain Calgary baby died of head trauma". CBC News (Calgary). 2010-08-12. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/slain-calgary-baby-died-of-head-trauma-1.921880. Retrieved 2020-01-12. "The baby's mother, who is 18, and family members who were taking care of the infant at the time are co-operating with investigators, he said."
- "Police probe infant's 'suspicious' death". CBC News (Calgary). 2010-08-25. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-mother-charged-with-killing-her-baby-1.925532. Retrieved 2020-01-12. "Shelby Anna Herchak, 18, has been charged with second-degree murder in the death of her infant son in Calgary."
- "Shelby Herchak apologizes for killing her baby". CBC News (Calgary). 2014-04-30. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/shelby-herchak-apologizes-for-killing-her-baby-1.2627383. Retrieved 2020-01-12. "Herchak — who is now 22 — was set to go on trial for second-degree murder in October when she pleaded guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter."
- "Shelby Herchak sentenced to 5.5 years for killing baby". CBC News (Calgary). 2014-05-20. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/shelby-herchak-sentenced-to-5-5-years-for-killing-baby-1.2648519. Retrieved 2020-01-12. "Daniel Herchak died in 2010 of blunt force trauma inflicted by his then 18-year-old mother, who had been out drinking with friends."