Shamima Begum is a young women from the United Kingdom, who stirred controversy after traveling to Daesh territory, and marrying a jihadi fighter, while still a 15-year-old teenager, and then requesting return to the UK.
Begum said she had two children, in Daesh, who died during the war.
- Vikram Dodd and Esther Addley (2019-02-15). "Shamima Begum may have criminalised herself, says senior terrorism officer: Family calls for her return to UK and considers legal action to stop government blocking it". The Guardian (UK). https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/15/mi6-chief-britons-joined-isis-cannot-stopped-returning-shamima-begum. Retrieved 2019-02-15. "In 2015, Begum left with two school friends from their home in Bethnal Green to join Isis in Syria. She said this week that she did not regret her decision to go to Syria, but that she was nine months pregnant and wanted to come home to 'live quietly with [her] child'."
- "IS teen's wish to return stirs UK debate over jihadi brides". France 24 (London). 2019-02-15. https://www.france24.com/en/20190215-teens-wish-return-stirs-uk-debate-over-jihadi-brides. Retrieved 2019-02-15. "The Times newspaper managed to find an unrepentant Begum -- now 19 and about to give birth for the third time after seeing her first two children die -- at a refugee camp in eastern Syria."
- "Shamima Begum: IS teen's return to UK 'could be prevented'". BBC News. 2019-02-15. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47248555. Retrieved 2019-02-15. "Ms Begum, who is pregnant, told the paper she had no regrets but wanted to have her baby in the UK."
- "Shamima Begum: Family of pregnant IS teen plead for return". BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47260916. Retrieved 2019-02-15. "Her family, from east London, said the 19-year-old's unborn baby is "a total innocent" and had the right to grow up in the "peace and security" of the UK."
- "Teen’s wish to return stirs U.K. debate over Daesh brides". The Daily Star (London). 2019-02-16. http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2019/Feb-16/476711-teens-wish-to-return-stirs-uk-debate-over-daesh-brides.ashx. Retrieved 2019-02-25. "But former MI6 foreign intelligence service chief Richard Barrett argued on Begum’s behalf in an opinion piece for the left-leaning Guardian paper."