Shama Hyder (Urdu: شمع قبانی) (born April 25, 1985) is an Indian-American entrepreneur, writer, speaker, web personality and TV personality. She is known for founding and being the current CEO of digital marketing and public relations agency Zen Media. She is also the author of the books The Zen of Social Media Marketing and Momentum: How to Propel Your Marketing and Transform Your Brand in the Digital Age.
Early life and education
Hyder was born in Goa, India on April 25, 1985. She moved to the United States with her family in 1994, settling in Dallas, Texas. She earned her bachelor’s degree from The University of Texas at Austin in 2003 and her master’s degree in Organizational Communication and Technology in 2008.
After graduating with her master’s degree, Hyder founded Zen Media in 2009. BusinessWeek magazine named her one of the top 25 young entrepreneurs after she founded the company. Other accolades she received in 2009 include being named a “Millennial Master of the Universe” award by Fast Company and being chosen for the Dallas Business Journal’s list of “40 Under 40 Achievers.” She was also named to the publication’s list of “Top Women in Business.”
Hyder’s first book, The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue was published by BenBella Books in 2010. It taught readers how to advertise on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. Hyder was also awarded the Technology Titan Emerging Company CEO award in 2010.
In 2011, Hyder was the only woman chosen by the U.S. State Department to represent the United States in a state-sponsored mentorship program for young entrepreneurs in Cairo, Egypt. In 2011, “Millennial Master of the Universe” also bestowed the title of “Super Sonic Youth” on her.
In 2012, the CW 33, KDAF-TV station in Dallas, Texas gave Hyder the opportunity to host two new segments for their weekly newscasts called “Tech Zen with Shama” and “Socially Sound with Shama.” Brazen Life also named Hyder of the “20 Young Professionals to Watch in 2012” in Business Insider. Hyder’s company Zen Media was also named to the Empact100 list of top 100 companies founded by young entrepreneurs.
In 2014, Hyder was chosen as Inc. magazine’s “Top 30 Under 30 Entrepreneurs.” The publication also nicknamed her “The Queen of Social Media.”
In 2015, Hyder was one of Forbes.com’s “30 Under 30 in Marketing in Advertising.”
In May 2016, Hyder’s second book, Momentum: How to Propel Your Marketing and Transform Your Brand in the Digital Age was released. In the same year, she received a Gold Hermes Award for Educational Programming in Electronic Media in recognition of her YouTube channel, Shama TV. Ankohi Media also awarded Hyder with the “Excellence in Social Media Entrepreneurship” award in 2016.
Hyder has spoken at events hosted by organizations such as Bentley University, Hubspot, NASA, Siemens, and Syco. She has been featured in news publications such as CBS News, Bloomberg, Fox News, NPR, The Wall Street Journal, and The New York Times. She has appeared on the cover of Online Marketing Strategies Magazine, Color Magazine, and SPAN Magazine.
Hyder has written for multiple publications, including Portfolio, Forbes, Inc, Fast Company, and Newsweek. Since 2009, she has been a regular tech and business contributor on Fox Business and MSNBC. In 2021, she was featured on Self-Made Mansions on HGTV with Host Clinton Kelly.
Hyder, S. (2010). The Zen of Social Media Marketing. Adfo Books. ISBN 978-1942952060
Hyder, S. (2016). Momentum: How to Propel Your Marketing and Transform Your Brand in the Digital Age. Brilliance Audio. ISBN 978-1511394482
- "How Zen Media's CEO sees the role of tech in PR, marketing amid the pandemic". https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2020/10/01/zen-media-shama-hyder.html.
- "Shama Hyder, a Digital Marketing Expert, Keynote Speaker, and TV & Media Personality". https://seowebfirm.com/shama-hyder/.
- "The Zen of Social Media Marketing by Shama Hyder Kabani". https://web.archive.org/web/20180526185800/https://www.fastcompany.com/1596083/zen-social-media-marketing-shama-hyder-kabani.
- "August 15, 2016 – Marketing Zen’s Shama Hyder, SMB Tax Advice w John Pollock & An Innovation High School w James Watson". https://schoolforstartupsradio.com/2016/08/marketing_zen/.
- "Speaker - Shama Hyder". https://www.anokhiawards.com/shama-hyder/.
- "UT grad Shama Kabani is new CW33 "Tech Zen"". https://www.anokhiawards.com/shama-hyder/.
- "Focus Of ‘Socially Sound With Shama’: On Your Way, Partner Moneyu And Financial Skills For Young Adults". https://www.cuinsight.com/press-release/focus-of-socially-sound-with-shama-on-your-way-partner-moneyu-and-financial-skills-for-young-adults-2.
- "20 Young Professionals To Watch In 2012". https://web.archive.org/web/20180526113024/http://www.businessinsider.com/20-brazen-young-professionals-to-watch-in-2012-2011-12.
- "The Zen Media Group Named to the 2012 Empact100 List". https://zenmedia.com/blog/the-marketing-zen-group-named-to-the-2012-empact100-list/.
- "2015 30 Under 30: Marketing and Advertising". https://www.forbes.com/pictures/glhi45ghk/shama-hyder-29/?sh=655a5e18658d.
- "Shama Hyder, TV Personality, Bestselling Author, CEO of Zen Media - Forbes “30 Under 30”". https://natfluence.com/interview/shama-hyder/.
- "#ANOKHI13 Was In Full Force At ANOKHI Media’s Annual Star-Studded Awards Show". https://www.anokhilife.com/anokhi-magazine/anokhi-magazine-weekly-features-issue-62/anokhi13-was-in-full-force-at-anokhi-medias-annual-star-studded-awards-show/.
- "Entrepreneurship Runs in the Family". https://www.hgtv.com/shows/self-made-mansions/episodes/entrepreneurship-runs-in-the-family.