|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
Sandstorm is the name of several fictional characters from the Transformers series. The original Sandstorm was an Autobot Triple Changer who appeared in the Transformers animated series, voiced by Jerry Houser in 1986. Since then other Transformers have been released with the name Sandstorm.
- 1 Transformers: Generation 1 (Autobot)
- 2 Transformers: Generation 1 (Decepticon)
- 3 Transformers: Generation 2
- 4 Beast Wars
- 5 Transformers: Armada
- 6 Shattered Glass
- 7 Transformers
- 8 References
Transformers: Generation 1 (Autobot)
Sandstorm appeared in several issues of the Marvel U.K. comics. His first appearance was during the Target: 2006 saga where he joined The Wreckers alongside fellow Triple Changers Springer and Broadside, to serve as replacements for Ultra Magnus, who was on a mission off-world at a critical time.
Following this, he was involved in the battle with Flame in a successful effort to stop the reactivation of the Kalis Engine and Cybertron's resultant destruction, as well as heading to Earth with Emirate Xaaron, Broadside and Inferno, where they ended up battling an alien fire based creature and sending it to Mercury.
During a later mission to stop the mad future Decepticon Galvatron (at the centre of a rift in time and space) that the Wreckers encountered Galvatron and his ally - a clone of Megatron, and the elite squad was routed. As he tried to save the crippled Inferno, Sandstorm was blown apart by Galvatron's cannon blast.
He had a notable role in the third season episodes "Fight or Flee" as the progressive leader of a tribe of peaceful Autobots, and "Starscream's Ghost" acting as an ally to Octane, who had deserted the Decepticons because of personal trouble with Galvatron.
Sandstorm was an Autobot among those Autobots who peacefully settled the planet Paradron. Outnumbered and fleeing from the Aerialbots, Cyclonus and Scourge took refuge inside a vortex, which transported them to the pacifistic, energy-rich planet of Paradron, which had been settled by Cybertronian refugees. Naturally, the duo immediately overthrew the planet and summoned Galvatron and the other Decepticons there; the plan was ultimately foiled by the Autobots, but at the cost of Paradron itself, which was destroyed.
During his desertion, the Decepticon Triple Changer Octane collaborated with Sandstorm to avoid capture.
Sandstorm appeared in the second volume of Transformers: The War Within as a member of the Wreckers led by Springer. This was before he became a Triple Changer, and his only alternate mode was that of a Cybertronian car.
After Shockwave gained control over Cybertron and unified the Autobots and Decepticons, Sandstorm joined his cause as one of his soldiers. Sandstorm was present in the Arctic Battle where Shockwave attempted to arrest the Autobots and Decepticons on Earth. They were successful in capturing Megatron and converting the Decepticons, but the Autobots escaped. Seemingly unbeknownst to Shockwave, both Sandstorm and Broadside were, in fact, double-agents.
Later, Sandstorm and Broadside were ordered to escort their former leader, Optimus Prime, to the Autobot rebels. While Broadside escorted the other Autobots elsewhere, Sandstorm and Optimus made their way to the rebels. While on the way, Optimus and Sandstorm were attacked by Runabout, acting in a mercenary/assassin capacity for Shockwave, and Sandstorm was shot and killed, much to Optimus Prime's dismay.
Devil's Due Publishing
Sandstorm also had a brief appearance in the third G.I. Joe vs. the Transformers crossover from Devil's Due Publishing. He and Springer were part of a patrol looking for Decepticon activity — and failed to detect the massive Decepticon army forming under Serpentor.
Sandstorm, in Cybertronian form, appeared in issue #2 of the Stormbringer series by IDW Productions. He aided Springer's Wreckers on the planet Varas Centralus in the Kol system when Optimus Prime redeployed the Wreckers for a mission on Cybertron. He fought the cultists under Bludgeon and later fought Thunderwing himself, but was grounded when the monster ionized the atmosphere. He was later seen inspecting Thunderwing's inert corpse.
- Generation 1 Triple Changer Sandstorm (1986)
- A Triple Changer who turned into a helicopter or dune buggy.
- Machine Wars Sandstorm
- In the Machine Wars toy line, Sandstorm was an Autobot helicopter. The toy was a redeco of the European exclusive Turbomaster Rotorstorm.
- Timelines Voyager Sandstorm (2013)
- A green redeco of Transformers: Dark of the Moon Voyager Skyhammer, sold as a BotCon 2013 exclusive.
- Generations Voyager Sandstorm (2013)
- A retool of Generations Voyager Autobot Springer with different parts for his alternate modes. His aircraft mode has been changed to a tiltrotor, similar to a Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey; this results in his dune buggy mode sporting larger rear wheels.
Transformers: Generation 1 (Decepticon)
The name Sandstorm was also used on a repaint of the Combaticon Brawl that was only released in Japan and was unrelated to the Autobot Sandstorm. Sandstorm could merge with his team-mates to form Battle Gaia.
- Sandstorm ()
- Was later recolored into Armorhide.
Transformers: Generation 2
The name Sandstorm was used for a repaint of Generation 1/Generation 2 Ramjet originally known as 'Desert Ramjet'. The toy was never released and Sandstorm did not appear in any Transformers: Generation 2 fiction.
Sandstorm was one of the exclusives at BotCon in 1999. He was a tan redeco of Beast Wars Scorponok. This Sandstorm was in fact Scorpius, a member of the Covenant of Primus, who for unknown reasons left the group and disappeared from their knowledge for several centuries. He made his way to Cybertron, where he became the leader of the resistance against Shokaract, a role in which he orchestrated the creation of Windrazor and approached the legends of Cybertron for their help. Apparently, he also worked his way into Shokaract's trust, joining the ranks of his Heralds alongside Antagony Cataclysm. When the battle of Point Omega took place, Scorpius joined in, briefly acting as though he were on Shokaract's side before attacking him at point blank range. Though Shokaract destroyed him, his example revealed the key to victory to the rest of the Covenant-by combining their Sparks to recreate the power of Primus, they severed the link between Shokaract's Decepticon Matrix of Conquest and the life force of Unicron in the past. As a result, Unicron's life force was drawn back into the timestream and Shokaract was erased from history, bringing an end to the never ending battle between Primus and Unicron.
Sandstorm is a mirror-universe duplicate of the Generation 1 character. He is one of Optimus Prime's evil Autobots.
Sandstorm is an Autobot built to withstand the toughest conditions of any terrain for extended periods. Because of this, he is partnered with Private Dedcliff, a Special Forces survival expert with years of experience.
- Transformers Legends Sandstorm (2010)
- Dark of the Moon Human Alliance Basic Sandstorm with Private Dedcliff (2011)
- An all-new mold of Sandstorm with a 2-inch Pvt. Dedcliff action figure. As with all Basic Human Alliance figures, Sandstorm is a triple-changer; he transforms from a dune buggy into a robot or a Mech Tech missile launcher that can be used with any Voyager or Leader Class figure.
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd.. p. 46. ISBN 0-7643-1364-9.
- Alvarez, J.E. (2001). The Unofficial Guide to Transformers 1980s Through 1990s Revised & Expanded 2nd Edition. Schiffer Publishing Ltd.. p. 129. ISBN 0-7643-1364-9.
- TFW2005.com - BotCon Sandstorm
- S. Trent Troop and Greg Sepelak (2009). Do Over. Illustrator Yuki Oshima. Fun Publications.
- TFW2005.com - HFTD Scout and Legends Wave 2 Released in the Philippines
- TFSource.com - Legends Sandstorm
- TFW2005.com - Dark of the Moon Human Alliance Basic Sandstorm with Private Dedcliff