Naomi Biden (lawyer)
Naomi Biden is an American lawyer, and granddaughter of American President Joe Biden. Biden married in a ceremony in The White House, on November 19, 2022, while her grandfather was President. There had been eighteen previous marriages in the white house, but hers was the first marriage of a grandchild. Nine of the previous marriages were of President's children. According to People magazine, the marriage of President Richard Nixon's daughter Tricia Nixon was the last previous White House marriage.
Biden's father, Hunter Biden, named Naomi after his baby sister, Naomi Christian Biden, her aunt, who died as an infant in the same December 1972 car crash that killed his mother. She is Joe Biden's oldest grandchild, and reporters have looked to her social media posts for information about what her siblings and cousins are really like. According to Elle magazine, her posts show that "...this group, who’ve spent their lives in the public spotlight, is tight.". Glamour magazine noted that it was Naomi who posted family photos of young Joe Biden and his new wife Jill, noting how "far they had come", shortly after he was elected President.
When the Democratic caucus met, to choose a Presidential candidate for 2020, Naomi and her three fellow granddaughters, Finnegan, Maisy, and Natalie, released a video they recorded together, recording their encouragement to their grandfather to run for President. USA Today quoted Naomi's reaction to her grandfather's win, "Everyone's crying and embraced each other. I think we'll always remember that moment.".
Biden and Peter Neal were introduced by a mutual friend in 2018, and have been together since. They announced their engagement in September 2021. The wedding is scheduled for November 19, 2022.
Biden attended the University of Pennsylvania at the same time as Tiffany Trump, the fourth child of Donald Trump, when he was President of the United States. The two young women are friends, in spite of their families supporting different political parties.
On President's Day, 2021, Naomi and her cousins and siblings gave her grandfather President-themed presents. Town and Country magazine quoted her, on the appropriateness of the Presidentially-themed presents, since he was "literally the President." They repeated that it was Naomi's social media reporters relied on for candid information about her grandfather's family.
- Mara Siegler (2018-06-11). "Tiffany Trump hangs with Joe Biden’s granddaughter in the Hamptons". New York Post. Archived from the original on 2021-09-18. https://web.archive.org/web/20210918114239/https://pagesix.com/2018/06/11/tiffany-trump-hangs-with-joe-bidens-granddaughter-in-the-hamptons/. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "The pair are college pals from Penn. Guarded by “very discreet secret service,” a spy said, were also Andrew Warren and Peter Brant Jr."
- Darlene Superville (2022-11-13). "‘Here comes the bride’: White House to host its 19th wedding". Toronto Star (Washington DC). Archived from the original on 2022-11-20. https://web.archive.org/web/20221120005316/https://www.thestar.com/life/2022/11/13/here-comes-the-bride-white-house-to-host-its-19th-wedding.html?li_source=LI&li_medium=thestar_life. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "Naomi Biden, the granddaughter of President Joe Biden, and Peter Neal are getting married on the South Lawn on Saturday in what will be the 19th wedding in White House history. It will be the first wedding with a president’s granddaughter as the bride, and the first one in that location, according to the White House Historical Association."
- Emily Weaver (2022-08-24). "Who Is Naomi Biden's Fiancé? All About Peter Neal: Naomi Biden and Peter Neal were set up by a mutual friend in 2018". People magazine. Archived from the original on 2022-11-19. https://web.archive.org/web/20221119195026/https://people.com/politics/who-is-peter-neal-naomi-biden/. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "The pair, who got engaged in September 2021, tied the knot on the South Lawn of the White House on Nov. 19, marking the property's first wedding in nine years."
- Damir Mujezinovic (2022-09-09). "Naomi Biden: What You Should Know About Joe Biden's Granddaughter". The Inquisitr. Archived from the original on 2021-09-23. https://web.archive.org/web/20210923030313/https://www.inquisitr.com/6496060/naomi-biden-what-you-should-know-about-joe-bidens-granddaughter. Retrieved 2022-11-13.
- Hilary Weaver, Madison Feller (2022-04-06). "Everything You Need to Know About Joe Biden’s Grandchildren". Elle magazine. Archived from the original on 2022-07-23. https://web.archive.org/web/20220723235650/https://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a33658229/joe-biden-grandchildren/. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "Some have shown up in news stories, like the Vogue profile of Dr. Biden from March 2020; some showed up at campaign rallies or at the Democratic National Convention; but for the most part, you can find them on Naomi’s Instagram account. The oldest of the grandchildren has posted several heartwarming cousin moments, proving that this group, who’ve spent their lives in the public spotlight, is tight."
- Nina Bahadur (2020-11-08). "Meet Joe Biden’s Granddaughters—Naomi, Finnegan, Maisy, and Natalie: The Biden girls first stole the show at the DNC—and they didn't stop there.". Glamour magazine. Archived from the original on 2022-05-26. https://web.archive.org/web/20220526024834/https://www.glamour.com/story/meet-joe-bidens-grandchildren-naomi-finnegan-maisy-and-natalie. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "Not only did they all join him on stage in Delaware following his victory speech, but Biden’s granddaughter Naomi Biden posted a sweet photo of Biden sharing a group hug with his grandchildren after learning he was elected the 46th president of the United States."
- Hannah Yasharoff (2021-01-21). "Meet the Bidens: A who's who of the new first family". USA Today. Archived from the original on 2022-08-14. https://web.archive.org/web/20220814034507/https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/entertainment/celebrities/2021/01/21/joe-biden-family-meet-kids-grandchildren-new-first-family/4243347001/. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "At 27, she now lives in Washington, D.C., noting in a Wednesday interview that her grandparents moving into the White House meant they would be 'a few miles away from my apartment.'"
- Virginia Chamlee (2022-04-05). "Biden Granddaughter Naomi's White House Wedding Reception Is Scheduled for November: Peter Neal proposed to Naomi Biden near his childhood home in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, with a ring that includes the band of his grandmother's engagement ring". People magazine. Archived from the original on 2022-08-31. https://web.archive.org/web/20220831034537/https://people.com/politics/naomi-biden-peter-neal-white-house-wedding-reception-scheduled-november/. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "'Consistent with other private events hosted by the First Family and following the traditions of previous White House wedding festivities in prior Administrations, the Biden family will be paying for the wedding activities that occur at the White House,' LaRosa told the AP."
- Stephanie Petit (2018-06-10). "Tiffany Trump Buddies Up with Joe Biden's Granddaughter Naomi in the Hamptons: Donald Trump's daughter Tiffany Trump and Naomi Biden, granddaughter of former Vice President Joe Biden, went to the University of Pennsylvania together". People magazine. Archived from the original on 2022-11-18. https://web.archive.org/web/20221118142317/https://people.com/politics/tiffany-trump-naomi-biden-hamptons-photo/. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "President Donald Trump‘s daughter Tiffany Trump shared a photo with Naomi Biden, granddaughter of former Vice President Joe Biden, on her Instagram Stories Saturday. The duo attended the University of Pennsylvania together, and their graduation ceremony in 2016 was attended by both the then-future president and Barack Obama’s VP."
- Chloe Foussiane (2021-02-16). "Joe Biden's Family Bought Him Presidential "Swag" for President's Day: His granddaughter Naomi Biden shared a photo of the President in his very appropriate costume.". Town and Country magazine. Archived from the original on 2022-05-28. https://web.archive.org/web/20220528161021/https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/politics/a35519589/naomi-biden-joe-presidents-day-swag-twitter-photo/. Retrieved 2022-11-13. "In a sweet, tongue-in-cheek gesture, Biden's granddaughter Naomi and other members of his family gifted him a couple President-themed costume pieces: a hat emblazoned with the Camp David logo, and a jacket adorned with the presidential seal, ''Air Force One'' embroidery, and a patch identifying the wearer as "Joe Biden, Commander in Chief." Naomi shared the photo on Twitter, writing, ''We bought him some swag since it’s Presidents’ Day weekend and he’s 'literally' President.''"