|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
Lorca Cohen (born 1974) is the daughter of poet/singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen and artist Suzanne Elrod. She has two children: Lyon Cohen, named after Leonard's grandfather; and Viva Cohen, who was fathered by a childhood friend, singer Rufus Wainwright, also the child of famous singer-songwriters. Her first name is taken in honor of Spanish poet Federico García Lorca, who was an influence on her father. Although Cohen referred to Elrod as his wife, they weren't married, Cohen claiming to have "chickened out" at the last moment. Cohen and Elrod stopped living together in 1979. Lorca and her older brother Adam (b. 1972) were raised primarily by their mother and had visits with Cohen in New York City, Los Angeles, and Hydra, Greece.
Lorca has worked as a professional photographer.
Lorca became part owner of an antiques store in Los Angeles. In October 2004 a disgruntled lover of her father's financial advisor, Kelley Lynch, came to the store to suggest Lorca look into how her father's finances were being managed. Lorca did examine her father's finances, and had the unpleasant task of informing him that Lynch had emptied his bank accounts and sold the rights to his music.
On December 16, 2010, the Hammer Museum in Los Angeles showcased a series of eleven commissioned art videos inspired by songs from New Skin for the Old Ceremony. The project was curated by Lorca Cohen and Darin Klein. The artists participating in the project were Brent Green, Alex da Corte, Wenston Currie, Theo Angell, Christian Holstad, Sylvan and Lily Lanken, "Lucky Dragons," Kelly Sears, Brett Milspaw, Peter Coffin and Tina Tyrell. On April 14, 2011, the program screened at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.
In 2011 Lorca and Wainwright agreed to conceive a child, Viva Wainwright Cohen. Wainwright describes Lorca as suggesting she bear a child. His decision to agree occurred when his mother, Kate McGarrigle, was dying and he promised her he would accept Lorca's offer. He says he was sorry she died before Viva was born.
Lorca subsequently had another child, a son, named Lyon Cohen, after Leonard's grandfather.
In a January 2017 interview Wainwright's sister, musician Martha Wainwright, described visiting Leonard Cohen, when she hung out with Lorca—because Leonard had an apartment upstairs, and he would come down to join his daughter and her friends.
- Tim de Lisle (2004-09-17). "Who held a gun to Leonard Cohen's head?". The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2004/sep/17/2. Retrieved 2016-11-12. "His hero is Federico García Lorca. Cohen named his daughter after him: "She's a lovely creature, and very inventive. She really deserves the name.""
- Brigit Grant (2012-03-29). "Being Leonard Cohen's son – it's not all hallelujahs". The Jewish Chronicle. http://www.thejc.com/arts/arts-features/65878/being-leonard-cohens-son-its-not-all-hallelujahs. Retrieved 2016-11-12. "Born and raised in Montreal alongside younger sister, Lorca, the young Cohens lived a "gypsy-like" existence from the moment their parents separated in 1979. "Our childhood was divided between France with our mother [Suzanne Elrod], and our dad in New York, Los Angeles and on the island of Hydra in Greece," explains Adam."
- David Colman (2013-06-23). "From the Middle Ages to the Middle-Aged". The New York Times: p. S19. https://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/fashion/from-the-middle-ages-to-the-middle-aged.html. Retrieved 2016-11-11. "In Los Angeles in December, Mr. Wainwright was visiting the Window, a modern furnishings store co-owned by his friend Lorca Cohen, the daughter of Leonard Cohen."
- Marc Weingarten (2005-10-06). "Leonard Cohen's Troubles May Be a Theme Come True". The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/arts/leonard-cohens-troubles-may-be-a-theme-come-true.html. Retrieved 2016-11-12. "Mr. Cohen said he had not suspected that his money was depleted until October 2004, when an informant tipped off his daughter, Lorca Cohen."
- Mikey Blanco (2016-11-12). "Leonard Cohen Hallelujah Lyrics: Why Is It A Classic?". Morning Ledger. http://www.morningledger.com/leonard-cohen-hallelujah-lyrics-classic/13120777/. Retrieved 2016-11-12. "In 2005, Leonard Cohen's daughter Lorca suspected her father's manager Kelley Lynch of embezzling funds."
- James Adam (2006-03-02). "Judge grants Leonard Cohen multimillion-dollar judgment against ex-manager". The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/judge-grants-leonard-cohen-multimillion-dollar-judgment-against-ex-manager/article4100082/. Retrieved 2016-11-11. "Cohen alleged Lynch and Westin "misled [him]into believing Traditional was owned and controlled 99 per cent by Cohen's children," Adam, now 34, and Lorca, 32."
- "Filmmakers inspired by Leonard Cohen at the Hammer Museum". Los Angeles Times. 2010-12-16. http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/16/entertainment/la-et-pickskin16-20101216.
- "Hammer Presents: New Skin For The Old Ceremony". Hammer Museum Website. http://hammer.ucla.edu/programs/detail/program_id/680.
- Sean Michaels (2011-02-21). "Hallelujah! Rufus Wainwright has baby with Leonard Cohen's daughter". The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/feb/21/rufus-wainwright-baby-with-lorca-cohen. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "Pass notes No 2,931: Viva Katherine Wainwright Cohen". The Guardian. 2011-02-21. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/feb/21/pass-notes-viva-catherine-wainwright-cohen. Retrieved 2016-11-11.
- Alexandra Topping (2011-02-21). "Rufus Wainwright and Lorca Cohen announce birth of Viva Katherine". The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2011/feb/21/rufus-wainwright-cohen-viva-katherine. Retrieved 26 April 2013.
- "For Immediate Release". Rufus Wainwright. February 18, 2011. http://www.rufuswainwright.com/news/default.aspx#2b042ae6-9780-44dc-8358-c8e038aa81b6:640386. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
- Paul English (2012-04-20). "Rufus Wainwright fulfils mother's dying wish by having a child with Lorca Cohen". Daily Record. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/rufus-wainwright-fulfils-mothers-dying-1119645. Retrieved 2016-11-11. "When my mother's health started to fail, it coincided with Lorca's desire to be a mother heightening, and she kind of popped the question."
- Joseph Serna (2016-11-17). "'Hallelujah' singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen died in his sleep, his manager says". Los Angeles Times. http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-cohen-death-statement-20161117-story.html. Retrieved 2017-04-20. "He is survived by his children Adam and Lorca, and his three grandchildren Cassius (Adam’s son), and Viva and Lyon (Lorca’s daughter and son)."
- "Martha Wainwright talks Leonard Cohen, motherhood and pints of plain in the latest Hot Press". Hot Press. 2017-01-27. https://www.hotpress.com/Martha-Wainwright/news/Martha-Wainwright-talks-Leonard-Cohen-motherhood-and-pints-of-plain-in-the-latest-iHot-Pressi/19486204.html. "Wainwright also speaks candidly about her relationship with Lorca Cohen, daughter of the greatly mourned Leonard."