John Kingman Phillips
John Kingman Phillips is a Canadian lawyer, most notable for playing a role in the defence of Omar Khadr. In July 2017 he helped five employees of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service file a workplace harrassment suit against their employers. He has also played a role in helping Canada's Aboringinal People who were victimized in Canada's Residential School system.
Phillips has also represented clients in the oil sector.
- Michael Friscolanti (2013-11-27). "Omar Khadr sues for $60 million: Lawyers accuse Canadian government of a ‘conspiracy’ with U.S. to keep Khadr behind bars". Maclean's magazine. http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/omar-khadr-sues-government-for-60-million/. Retrieved 2017-07-12. "In fact, one of Khadr’s lawyers says the $60-million tally listed in the lawsuit isn’t quite accurate, even though the document says so. “We perceive the claim as being a $20-million claim,” says John Kingman Phillips, who plans to correct the record when he appears in a Toronto courtroom Dec. 18. “That’s what it’s intended to be.”"
- Terry Davidson (2013-12-18). "Khadr's allegations of cross-border plot against him need work: Judge". Toronto Sun (Toronto). http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/18/khadrs-allegations-of-cross-border-plot-against-him-need-work-judge. Retrieved 2017-07-12. "Justice Richard Mosley said Wednesday that Khadr’s lawyer, John Kingman Phillips, needs to “sharpen (his) pencil” when it comes to allegations in an amended lawsuit claiming there was a conspiracy to prosecute Khadr and that Canadian investigators who went to Guantanamo to interview him were aware that Khadr’s rights — such as his access to a lawyer, the right to remain silent, and the “rights of a child” — were being violated after his arrest."
- "Professor Speaks on Residential Schools Class Action". University of Calgary. https://law.ucalgary.ca/news/professor-speaks-residential-schools-class-action. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
- Bob Beaty (2003-08-17). "Calgary lawyer in court battle to collect fees". Business Edge. http://www.businessedge.ca/archives/article.cfm/calgary-lawyer-in-court-battle-to-collect-fees-3819. Retrieved 2017-07-14. "Panther Petroleum Ltd. states in its claim against Calgary lawyer John Kingman Phillips and the firm of Singleton Urquhart Scott that Phillips represented Panther in a dispute with Amoco Canada Resources Ltd. and Talisman Energy Inc."
- Deirdre Kelly (2007-09-29). "A ruckus at closing time". Globe and Mail. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/a-ruckus-at-closing-time/article18146299/. Retrieved 2017-07-12.