Gears was featured as a member of Optimus Prime's crew known for his sour attitude.
Gears was featured in the 1985 Transformers audio book Autobots' Lightning Strike.
1984 Marvel Comics
"The only thing Gears wants to learn about this planet is how to get off it. I hate this place already. I just know you're going to use me as a mobile transport unit again, once we have to set up. Nuts, let's go home." - Gears in Marvel Transformers #1
Gears is notable in the Marvel Comics series as the Autobot who teamed up with Spider-Man in #3 of the series. The two went off to save Sparkplug Witwicky from the Decepticons, and Spider-Man's presence allowed Gears to take down Ravage and Soundwave, before confronting Megatron himself, who blew the floor out from under him. Spider-Man's web failed to catch Gears, and he plummeted to the bottom of a cliff. He was eventually repaired by Ratchet and teamed with Windcharger and Cliffjumper on the Dinobot Hunt; unfortunately he was injured again in a Decepticon ambush.
Gears was seen among the Autobots being repaired on the Ark when Optimus Prime sent Landmine and Cloudburst on their mission to obtain computer chips to repair fellow Autobots in issue #52, "Guess Who the Mechannibals Are Having for Dinner?"
- Hasbro Transformers Gears (1984)
- McDonald's Gears (1985)
- Hasbro Transformers Generations Autobot Gears and Autobot Eclipse (2014)
- These molds were also used for Swerve and Flanker, the components of Oilmaster, and Double Pretender Optimus Prime and Hi-Q.
- Pete's Robot Convention Pretender Gears (2018)
- A custom class exclusive for Pete's Robot Convention. Uses the Optimus Prime recolor of the Pretender shell from Timelines Oilmaster. Requires Generations Gears and Eclipse as the inner robots.