Firstco was founded in 1998 and throughout the years it has established itself into a global systems engineering company that provides services such as designing, building, supporting mission-critical communication and control systems.
The company is mainly active in designing and deploying communication and control systems, particularly in sectors such as airport, rail, road, port and industrial automation.
In 1998, the newly formed company was hired to provide control and communication consultancy services to the newly created Heathrow Express Operating Company.
In 2003, the company undertook a five year project that included the design of a new terminal that extended Heathrow Express and the Piccadilly Line into a new sub surface rail station.
In 2009, the company started design and delivery of control systems for London Underground stations and shaft ventilation systems. Additionally, Firstco also worked with Morgan Sindall and Birse Metro for designing and deploying control systems for station-cooling projects at Green Park Station and Oxford Circus Station. These two projects were a part of Transport for London's ongoing Cooling the Tube programme.
In 2010, Firstco provided designs and cost estimates for nine new rail stations on the Crossrail central section.
In December 2022, it was reported that Firstco is developing a Vertiport Management System that will enable remote control and monitoring of multiple vertiports from a single control room. Fistco also partnered with Decision Labs, a UK based company to develop a Logistics Optimisation System (LOGOS), a software that helps in more efficient and effective picking, packing and transporting of material and equipment.
Firstco has offices in the United Kingdom and United States. The company has ongoing projects in Europe, Middle East, Africa.
The company is a corporate member of both the Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET) and the Association for Project Management (APM).
Beststartup.co.uk has included Firstco in its list of top London based Communications Infrastructure companies. SME News Magazine named Firstco the best Mission-Critical Control Systems Design Company of 2020.
In November 2021, the Mayor of London recognized 112 organisations including Firstco that have been recognised by the Mayor as Good Work Standard employers who are known for their best employment practices.
- "Firstco Ltd" (in en-GB). https://www.defenceonline.co.uk/supplier/firstco-ltd/.
- "Who We Are | Firstco". https://www.firstco.uk.com/who-we-are/.
- "Firstco Completes Major Contracts for Station Cooling Projects at Green Park and Oxford Circus" (in en-US). https://www.railway-technology.com/contractors/data/pressfirstco-green-park-oxford-circus/pressreleases/pressfirstco-green-park-oxford-circus/.
- "Firstco Developing Vertiport Control Room Software" (in en-GB). 2022-12-12. https://www.aaminternational.com/2022/12/firstco-developing-vertiport-control-room-software/.
- "Future of Air Mobility Accelerator 2022 cohort announced" (in en-US). https://cp.catapult.org.uk/news/future-of-air-mobility-accelerator-2022-cohort-announced/.
- "LOGOS" (in en-GB). https://decisionlab.co.uk/project/logos/.
- "Member List" (in en). https://www.britishaviationgroup.co.uk/member-list/.
- "Our Member Companies" (in en-US). https://www.adsgroup.org.uk/members/.
- "London’s Best Communications Infrastructure Companies". https://beststartup.co.uk/londons-best-communications-infrastructure-companies-to-work-for-and-buy-from/.
- "Firstco Ltd (2020 Winner: UK Enterprise Awards)" (in en-GB). https://www.sme-news.co.uk/winners/firstco-ltd/.
- "Magazine" (in en-GB). https://www.sme-news.co.uk/magazine/.
- "Good Work Standard accredited employers | London City Hall" (in en). https://www.london.gov.uk/programmes-strategies/business-and-economy/supporting-business/good-work-standard-gws/good-work-standard-accredited-employers.