Explorer is a third-party Transformer homage to the Transformers 1986 Combaticion Blast Off. When the Transformers: Energon Bruticus Maximus set was released Blast Off turned into a tank instead of his Generation 1 form of a space shuttle. This toy is meant to replace him in that set. The set also comes with a number of accessories which can be used with the other Combaticons, or combined with the accessories from Munitioner to form an homage to Generation 1 Bruticus, called Colossus.
Explorer turns into a space shuttle or the right arm of Colossus.
FansProject revealed the mold for Explorer on their web site in December 2009.
Explorer was released in August 2010.
In October 2012 FansProject announced on their web site that they were releasing Munitioner and Explorer is new colors.
Promotional photos of Maketoys Giant included a comparison with Colossus.
Being a brilliant physicist, Explorer was forced to become a Weapon Engineer, when the Civil War entered into his homeland. He was assigned to be the Chief engineer in the Project "Colossus" - Combining 5 independent warriors (Unit) into one Giant Battle Machine (Colossus). The first Colossus to rollout is the Combat Unit, including 2 tank-bots, 2 helibots and the core warrior which transforms into a Guided Missile Vehicle.
The Colossus System is so powerful that no A.I. can handle it. As a result in the first experiment, The Combat Unit Colossus Combination (C³) went violently out of control and destroyed half of the research facilities. C³ himself lost one of his arms and one of his legs in the incident, which resulted in the whole project to be sustained.In order to stabilize the insanity of C³'s A.I., Explorer modified himself to become one of the unit members, using his brilliant A.I. to override C³'s insanity.With the help of extra control circuit blocks, and Explorer's AI, C³ is finally controllable. As a result, Explorer becomes the leader of the Combat unit and forced to serve the army in the frontline.
- FansProject Crossfire TFX-02A Explorer (2010)
- An original third-party Transformer mold intended to replace the tank Blast Off on the Universe Bruticus combiner set. Turns from robot to space shuttle. Comes with several accessories for Brawl, Onslaught and Vortex. He was remolded into Flameblast.
- This toy was recolored and included as part of Explorer/Munitioner.
- Reprolabels Crossfire (2011)
- A set of labels for Explorer and Munitioner to make them look more like Generation 1 Blast Off and Swindle.
- Jesse (October 24th, 2009). "[email protected]". http://www.tfwire.com/ (Podcast). TFWire. http://tfwire.com/blog/?p=513.
- Vangelus (February 4th, 2010). "[email protected]". http://www.tfw2005.com/ (Podcast). TFW2005. http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/wtf-tfw-transformers-podcast/291017-wtf-tfw-81-february-4-2010-a.html.