The Gay Travel Guide for Tops and Bottoms
|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
The book features reviews written by two men about thirteen countries in no chronological or alphabetical order. The reviews are written tongue in cheek, with each of the two reviewers given their own name depending on whether they prefer to be on top or on bottom during sex. Each man gives a review of their experience in each of the countries listed, as well as each country's taboos, sexual customs, and stance on homosexuality.
The countries reviewed in this guide book are: Singapore, Malaysia, Greece, Canada, South Korea, Thailand, Turkey, France, Philippines, Lebanon, India, Scotland, and Australia. The guide book lists hotels, restaurants and night clubs.
The book experienced some controversy when Linkedin pulled an ad featuring the book from their website, citing that they objected to the sexual references of "tops" and "bottoms" in the title. The publisher responded that this was discrimination through censorship since the ads were targeted for men in the gay travel groups of LinkedIn. Icon Empire press also added that the book was intended as a humorous review and does not list any locations where men can find sex.
The author, Drew Blancs, spent 5 years traveling and writing the book. Blancs was a blogger from Los Angeles who had never written a book before and wrote it to assist people with finding compatible sex partners.
- Ferber, Lawrence (June 21, 2012). "This Town is Tops: When It Comes to Gay Travel, It Seems Sex Roles Have More Control Over Our Decision-Making Than We Realize". Next Magazine (New York City, New York, USA: David Moyal, Jeff Woodward). ISSN 2980-6807. http://www.nextmagazine.com/content/town-tops-when-it-comes-gay-travel-it-seems-sex-roles-have-more-control-over-our-decision. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Avery, Dan (June 2, 2012). "Just In Time For Summer: The Gay Travel Guide For Tops And Bottoms". Queerty (David Hauslaib). http://www.queerty.com/just-in-time-for-summer-the-gay-travel-guide-for-tops-and-bottoms-20120602/. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- A.W.J. (May 10, 2012). "Score card: A gay travel book for the sexually adventurous man". Dallas Voice (Dallas, Texas, USA: William Marberry). OCLC 16567390. http://www.dallasvoice.com/score-card-gay-travel-book-sexually-adventurous-man-10109094.html. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Lewis, Shauna (September 01, 2011). "LinkedIn pulls gay ad". Xtra! Magazine (Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Brandon Matheson). ISSN 0829-3384. OCLC 259371981. http://www.xtra.ca/public/Vancouver/LinkedIn_pulls_gay_ad-10696.aspx. Retrieved September 24, 2011.
- Instinct Staff (September 5, 2011). "LinkedIn Drops Gay Travel Ad". Instinct (Sherman Oaks, California, USA: JR Pratts). ISSN 1096-0058. OCLC 37661257. http://instinctmagazine.com/blogs/travel/linkedin-drops-gay-travel-ad?directory=100051. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Broverman, Neal (September 8, 2011). "Tops, Bottoms, and Networking - Not a Good Threesome?". The Advocate (Los Angeles, California, USA: Liberation Publications). ISSN 0001-8996. OCLC 614868330. http://www.advocate.com/news/daily-news/2011/09/08/tops-bottoms-and-networking-not-good-threesome. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- Florida Agenda staff (August 11, 2011). "The Research Was Lots of Fun". Florida Agenda (Wilton Manors, Florida, USA: Bobby Blair). http://floridaagenda.com/2011/08/11/international-newsline-august-11-2011/. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- Instinct Staff (June 27, 2011). "Sexual Performance Of International Cities' Residents Is Highlighted In New Book". Instinct (Sherman Oaks, California, USA: JR Pratts). ISSN 1096-0058. OCLC 37661257. http://instinctmagazine.com/blogs/blog/sexual-performance-of-international-cities-residents-is-highlighted-in-new-book?directory=100011. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- Joseph, Robert (April 4, 2012). "Robert Joseph's Reviews - The Gay Travel Guide for Tops and Bottoms". Goodreads. Amazon.com. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/306102134. Retrieved April 14, 2013.
- "LinkedIn Yanks Ad for Gay Travel Book". Gayapolis News (Gayapolis, Inc.; www.gayapolis.com). 2 September 2011. http://www.gayapolis.com/news/artdisplay-travel.php?artid=10810. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- SentidoG (7 September 2011). "LinkedIn retira aviso publicitario de guía de turismo gay" (in Portuguese). ENewspaper (www.enewspaper.mx; alternate link). http://www.enewspaper.mx/archivos/47010. Retrieved 8 April 2013.