|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
|This page was listed for deletion discussion per Wikipedia's deletion policy, but it may not meet deletion criteria on WikiAlpha and as such has been preserved here; it may have the potential to be moved to article space. Check to see if the article meets the criteria for publishing on WikiAlpha.|
Kevin Stitt is an American businessman and politician from Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is the founder and Chairman of Gateway Mortgage Group and the Republican nominee for the Oklahoma gubernatorial election of 2018. The company has been cited in news reports for not disclosing information to regulators and was sued for sexual harassment while Stitt was CEO.
Oklahoma gubernatorial candidacy
In July 2017, Stitt announced his candidacy for the Republican nomination  for the gubernatorial election of Oklahoma. He ran against nine other candidates, then competed with Mick Cornett in a runoff election to win the nomination. Stitt is running against Democrat Drew Edmondson and Libertarian Chris Powell in the general election in November 2018. Stitt was endorsed by United States Senator Ted Cruz and former senators Rick Santorum and Tom Coburn. He was also endorsed by the current governor of Oklahoma, Mary Fallin, and the current president of the United States, Donald Trump. His opponent in the election, Drew Edmondson, is the former Attorney General of Oklahoma and was a candidate for governor in 2010During the general election, the race was very tight which drew increased attention from national media and political figures. Vice President Mike Pence campaigned for Stitt during the general election because of the tightness of race.
Financial services career
Stitt worked in the financial services sector before starting Gateway in 2000. According to a profile done on Stitt by Bloomberg News, he founded the company and was President/CEO until January 2014 when he became Chairman/CEO. In August 2018 DS News reported that he dropped the CEO title when Stephen Curry became CEO, while Stitt remained as Chairman. Gateway is a mid-sized company based in Jenks, Oklahoma which employs more than 1,100 people. The firm originates mortgages in 40 states.
Stitt has been involved in a number of controveries prior to his gubernatorial run. In 2009, the mortgage company was listed on Business Insider's shadiest 15 companies list. According to NEWS9, Oklahoma, the Business Insider article cited the company as originating nearly twice as many bad mortgages as its competitors. NEWS9 also said that according to Georgia's Department of Banking and Finance, Stitt was banned for five years and the company was banned for life from origination mortgages in Georgia. In 2011, he was involved in a controvesy involving Bank of America in his capacity as an executive at the firm.
In 2011, a female employee at Gateway in Tulsa sued the company after being called back from maternity leave and then let go and replaced by a younger man. Although Stitt wasn't sued personally, the woman called out Stitt personally saying that he yelled at her at least once. In another suit in Missouri, an employee cited a sexually hostile workplace and claimed that she was fired and a younger, less qualified man replaced her. Both cases were settled out of court.
During the gubernatorial campaign, Oklahoma Watch reported that Gateway had failed to notify Wisconsin regulators about previous issues the firm had with regulators from other states.
Personal and family
Stitt grew up in Norman, Oklahoma. He attended Oklahoma State University where he received a degree in accounting. He and his wife, Sarah, have been married for 19 years and have six children. Stitt and his wife are active in their church in Tulsa, Woodlake Church.
- Kevin Stitt to run for governor, Tulsa Beacon, "Tulsa businessman Kevin Stitt announced his candidacy for the 2018 Oklahoma Gubernatorial race. The first-time candidate
- Real Clear Politics, By Erick Erickson, August 24, 2018 Collapse of the Career Politicians, "The prevailing consensus among political analysts in the United States about...", https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/08/24/collapse_of_the_career_politicians_137882.html
- Pro-life advocate is the founder and CEO of Gateway Mortgage Group (GMG).", https://tulsabeacon.com/kevin-stitt-to-run-for-governor/
- U.S. News & World Report, Mortgage Company Head Wins GOP Primary for Oklahoma Governor, "Tulsa mortgage company owner and political newcomer Kevin Stitt won the Republican nomination in the race to become Oklahoma's next governor.", Aug. 28, 2018,
- Washington Post, June 27 by Terri Rupar, Lieutenant governor concedes in GOP gubernatorial race in Oklahoma; runoff set, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/live-updates/midterms/live-primary-election-results/lieutenant-governor-fails-to-make-republican-gubernatorial-runoff-in-oklahoma/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9041060e1eeb
- The Hill, 08/30/18, Max Greenwood, Trump endorses Kevin Stitt in Oklahoma governor's race, Capitol Hill Publishing Corp., a subsidiary of News Communications, Inc., https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/404429-trump-endorses-kevin-stitt-in-oklahoma-governors-race
- KFOR, August 29, 2018, Kevin Stitt, Drew Edmondson, Chris Powell to face off in November as gubernatorial candidates
- "You Decide 2018: Kevin Stitt wins Oklahoma gubernatorial GOP runoff race". August 29, 2018. https://www.fox23.com/news/you-decide-2018-oklahoma-primary-elections/776924575.
- "Kevin Stitt". https://ballotpedia.org/Kevin_Stitt.
- "Senator Ted Cruz endorses Kevin Stitt for governor". August 22, 2018. https://ktul.com/news/beyond-the-podium/senator-ted-cruz-endorses-kevin-stitt-for-governor. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- "Rick Santorum Endorsement". August 6, 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgB546wLEHI. Retrieved August 17, 2018.
- "Tom Coburn endorses Stitt for governor". August 21, 2018. http://www.normantranscript.com/news/tom-coburn-endorses-stitt-for-governor/article_fd08ff14-a560-11e8-8ff2-0b7b5a0eeedc.html. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- "Trump endorses Kevin Stitt in Oklahoma governor's race". August 30, 2018. https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/404429-trump-endorses-kevin-stitt-in-oklahoma-governors-race.
- Denwalt, Dale (May 1, 2017). "Drew Edmondson announces run for Oklahoma governor". The Oklahoman. http://newsok.com/article/5547454. Retrieved May 1, 2017.
- The Journal Record, (Mike Simons/Tulsa World via AP), Pence campaigns for Stitt in Tulsa, Vice President Mike Pence speaks at a rally for gubernatorial candidate Kevin Stitt at the Mabee Center in Tulsa on Thursday., With the general election less than three weeks away, Kevin Stitt is trying to get by with a little help from his friends.
- The Western Journal, June 19, 2018, Western Journal Poll: Kevin Stitt Leading in Oklahoma Republican Primary, Many Still Undecided, https://www.westernjournal.com/oklahoma-republican-gubernatorial-primary-election-2018/
- U.S. News & World Report, Oct. 18, 2018, VP Mike Pence Campaigns for GOP's Kevin Stitt for Governor "Vice President Mike Pence headlined a campaign rally for Republican Kevin Stitt as they worked to keep the Oklahoma governor's office in GOP hands."
- Tulsa World: Kevin Stitt, A Better Agent of Change, The Okie on October, 22nd 2018, http://www.theokie.com/tulsa-world-kevin-stitt-a-better-agent-of-change/
- AP News, August 28, 2018, The Latest: Oklahoma attorney general race too close to call, https://apnews.com/28406c5caa1d424ba58495ea5d15f66b
- MortgageOrb, Zackin Publications Inc., July 25, 2018, Patrick Barnard, Kevin Stitt: The Proactive Approach to Compliance Always Wins, https://mortgageorb.com/kevin-stitt-the-proactive-approach-to-compliance-always-wins
- Gateway Mortgage Group Announces New CEO, Kevin Stitt, chairman and CEO of Gateway Mortgage Group, LLC, DSNews.com copyright 2018 is a registered trademark of The Five Star Institute, https://dsnews.com/headline/08-03-2018/gateway-hires-ceo
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=32365055.
- NEWSon6, Tuesday, June 19th 2018, Truth Test: Kevin Stitt’s Business Record, http://www.newson6.com/story/38458020/truth-test-kevin-stitts-business-record
- The 15 Shadiest Mortgage Lenders Being Backed By The Government, Vincent Fernando, Dec. 11, 2009, https://www.businessinsider.com/the-shady-lenders-abusing-government-mortgage-problems-2009-12?op=1
- KWTV/News 9, Oklahoma, June 19th 2018, http://www.news9.com/story/38458020/truth-test-kevin-stitts-business-record
- Department of Banking and Finance Enters into a Consent Order with Gateway Mortgage Group, LLC and its President, John Kevin Stitt, December 1, 2009, https://dbf.georgia.gov/press-releases/2009-12-01/department-banking-and-finance-enters-consent-order-gateway-mortgage-group
- Business Insider, Apr. 12, 2011. Brian Moynihan's Leadership Questioned, As Execs Feel They Were Left In The Dark, "Brian Moynihan's leadership is being questioned because three top executives at Bank of America had no idea that their request to repay the dividend was rejected by the Fed, according to the WSJ." https://www.businessinsider.com/brian-moynihan-dividend-chuck-noski-neil-cotty-kevin-stitt-2011
- Wall Street Journal, BofA Kept Executives in Dark on Dividend, Dan Fitzpatrick And, Joann S. Lublin, April 12, 2011, https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703841904576257330344371922
- "Stitt's Mortgage Firm Failed to Tell Regulators of Past Problems". https://oklahomawatch.org/2018/08/16/stitts-mortgage-firm-failed-to-tell-regulators-of-past-problems/.
- "Kevin Stitt: Republican". 2018-05-31. https://okcfox.com/news/local/race-for-governor-kevin-stitt.
- Gateway Mortgage Group Adds Chief Administrative Officer
- Gateway works to strengthen our community
- Stitt's Facebook page
- Stitt's Twitter account
- Kevin Stitt's Company Targeted In Federal Lawsuit
- Gateway Gives Back Program Commits $275 Million to Oklahoma Communities
- Oklahoma real estate briefs for Aug. 29
- Gateway Mortgage Group Named to Inc. Magazine 5000 List