- "He commanded multiple HiG terrorist cells, conducted IED (improvised explosive device) attacks in Nangarhar province, and is assessed to have regular contact with senior Al-Qaeda and HiG leadership,"
- "He may have additional information with respect to ongoing Al-Qaeda operations, and may have information that is useful to us in thwarting future attacks."
- "Remember that Guantanamo serves a number of functions. One is its an intelligence center as well as a detention facility, and its a place where we have built the structure and capacity to try people for ... War crimes through the military commission process."
In late November 2008 the New York Times published a page summarizing the official documents from each captive. The New York Times stated that no further official records of his detention—no Combatant Status Review Tribunal had been published. They identified him as identified captive 10028.
- "List of Individuals Detained by the Department of Defense at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from January 2002 through May 15, 2006". United States Department of Defense. http://www.dod.mil/news/May2006/d20060515%20List.pdf. Retrieved 2006-05-15.
- Gabriel Haboubi (June 22, 2007). "Afghan terror suspect transferred to Guantanamo Bay prison". The Jurist. http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2007/06/afghan-terror-suspect-transferred-to.php. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- Margot Williams (2008-11-03). "Guantanamo Docket: Haroon al-Afghani". New York Times. http://projects.nytimes.com/guantanamo/detainees/10028-haroon-al-afghani. Retrieved 2010-03-30. mirror
- "Terror Suspect Transferred To Guantanamo". Department of Defense. June 22, 2007. http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=11041. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- Deb Reichman (June 22, 2007). "U.S. says Afghan prison not meant to be Gitmo alternative". Houston Chronicle. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4912267.html. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- "Afghan insurgent commander lands in Guantanamo". Indiainfo. June 23, 2007. http://news.indiainfo.com/2007/06/23/guantanamo.html. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- "The Detainees". New York Times. 2008-11-23. http://projects.nytimes.com/guantanamo. Retrieved 2008-12-02. mirror
- Myopic Pentagon keeps filling Guantánamo Andy Worthington
- Who Are the Remaining Prisoners in Guantánamo? Part Eight: Captured in Afghanistan (2002-07) Andy Worthington