|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
Template:Infobox station Avenue is an underground light rail transit (LRT) station under construction on Line 5 Eglinton, a new line that is part of the Toronto subway system. The station will be located in North Toronto on Eglinton Avenue between Avenue Road and Highbourne Road. Destinations include the Chaplin Estates neighbourhood, Marshall McLuhan Catholic Secondary School, the Eglinton Theatre, and Eglinton Park. The station is scheduled to open in 2021.
The main entrance to this underground station will be located on the northwest corner of Eglinton and Avenue Road, replacing a convenience store. A second entrance, about 80m east on the north side of Eglinton, will replace two storefronts. Retail spaces will be available at both entrances at street level. The station will have on-street connections to TTC buses and outdoor parking for 50 bicycles.
Avenue station will be one of four underground stations to be "mined" (built using the sequential excavation method), rather than being built by cut and cover like the other underground stations. At Avenue station, there will be a third track between the eastbound and westbound tracks either to store a train or to allow a train to change direction due to an emergency or a change in service.
In a report to the TTC Board on November 23, 2015, it was recommended that stations on Line 5 Eglinton should be given unique names. Metrolinx initially proposed that the station be named "Avenue", for Avenue Road. Later, Metrolinx changed the proposed name to "Oriole Park". However, by January 2016, the proposed station name was changed back to "Avenue" because "Oriole Park" was too similar to the name of another transit station within Toronto, namely Oriole GO Station on GO Transit's Richmond Hill line.
The following routes would serve this station according to the report presented at the board meeting on February 25, 2016:
|13||Avenue Road||Northbound to Eglinton station and southbound to Queen's Park station and Gerrard Street|
|34||Eglinton||Westbound to Mount Dennis station and eastbound to Science Centre station|
|61||Avenue Road||Northbound to Highway 401 and southbound to Eglinton station|
- "Avenue Station". October 13, 2016. http://thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/avenue-station. Retrieved November 10, 2017.
- Crosstown. "Sequential Excavation Method (also known as the New Austrian Tunnelling Method) will be used at Avenue station". Twitter. https://twitter.com/CrosstownTO/status/730526437942366208/photo/1. Retrieved May 12, 2016.
- "Eglinton Crosstown LRT Update". Metrolinx. October 13, 2017. http://mailchi.mp/metrolinx/eglinton-crosstown-lrt-update-8m0rob5ejp?e=67918bdda5. Retrieved October 19, 2017. "Among 15 underground stations of Eglinton Crosstown LRT, eleven will be built using a "cut-and-cover" method and four, including Avenue Station, are going to be "mined"."
- John Thompson (2018-03-13). "Eglinton Crosstown surfacing in 2018". Railway Age. https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/light-rail/eglinton-crosstown-surfacing-2018/. Retrieved 2018-03-10. "Mining has begun at the three stations utilizing this construction method (Oakland, Avenue and Laird). The mining is done from the excavation shafts for the future station entrances, located off the road."
- "Eglinton Crosstown LRT Updates - July 2017". Metrolinx. July 14, 2017. http://mailchi.mp/metrolinx/eglinton-crosstown-lrt-updates?e=67918bdda5. Retrieved November 1, 2017.
- "Line 5 Eglinton Station Names". Board Presentation. Toronto Transit Commission. November 23, 2015. http://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2015/November_23/Reports/Eglinton_Line_Station_Names__Combined_Report.pdf. Retrieved November 23, 2015. "TTC staff evaluated the initial report and the proposed names and provided feedback and recommendations. A primary TTC concern was to avoid replication and redundancy with existing TTC station names. The proposed names are unique and are not likely to be confused with existing station names."
- Marshall, Sean (January 14, 2016). "Metrolinx Finalizes Eglinton Crosstown Station Names". The Torontoist. http://torontoist.com/2016/01/metrolinx-eglinton-crosstown-station-names-debate/. Retrieved May 8, 2017. "Oriole Park was renamed back to "Avenue""
- "Changes to TTC Bus Routes in Eglinton Corridor for Line 5 Rapid Transit Line". Toronto Transit Commission. February 25, 2016. https://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/February_25/Reports/Changes_to_TTC_Bus_Routes_in_Eglinton_Corridor_for_Line_5_Ra.pdf.
- Avenue Station project page at the Eglinton Crosstown website.