|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
Marlborough College is an exclusive and expensive British Public School, which, in 1968, was the first accept girls as students as well as boys. Annual fees for boarders, like Rosenberg, were $48,000 per year.
In 2014 Victoria Lambert, writing in The Telegraph, described Marlborough College as a "seed bed for grooming alpha consorts", listing Rosenberg, the Duchess of Cambridge Kate Middleton, and nine other notable female graduates of Marlborough as examples of Marlborough's "alpha consorts".
Lambert noted that Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge, her sister Pippa, Princess Eugenie of York all attended Marlborough, as did Samantha Cameron, Frances Osborne, Sally Bercow Diana Fox, and Georgina Chapman, talented women in their own right more commonly known for being married to David Cameron, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, the Chancellor of the United Kingdom, the United Kingdom Speaker of the House of Commons and the Governor of the Bank of England and Oscar winning Producer Harvey Weinstein. Lambert then listed three "alpha consorts", Rosenberg, Amanda Harlech, and Elizabeth Ann Clough.
After joining Google, she was quickly promoted to become a marketing manager for Google Glass. After the story of her affair with Brin became public, she was transferred "out from under his supervision."
Rosenberg didn't only promote Google Glass, from behind the scenes -- she served as a model for the glasses, starring in promotional videos, and having a designer develop a more fashionable version of the glasses that she said were specifically inspired by her. The New York Daily News described Rosenberg as a "style-savvy hipster" when they quoted designer Isabelle Olsson saying “My muse Amanda looking great in the frames I designed for her,”.
Rosenberg entered into two romantic relationships after she started working at Google. The first was with Hugo Barra, the senior executive at Google responsible for managing the development of the android operating system. She also became friends with Sergey Brin, and his wife Anne Wojcicki, and unknown to Barra and Wojcicki, began an affair with Brin. Barra planned to accept a job offer in China, and Rosenberg declined when he asked her to join him there.
Google's personnel policies do allow relationships between fellow employees, but Brin's relationship with Rosenberg is said to have made other employees uncomfortable. The Google Glass product is no longer available for sale. Google says the product line has been withdrawn, for redeveloping, with the eventual release of a more mature replacement, but some commentators have speculated that the retirement of the product is an side-effect of the discomfort caused by the discovery of Brin's clandestine affair with Rosenberg.
In 2018 Rosenberg published an article in Vox magazine, revealing she has had ongoing mental health issues, and describing the strain she felt getting her family to accept that. Bethany Wang, of KPCC interviewed Rosenberg following her article.
- Grigoriandis, Vanessa (April 2014). "O.K., Glass: Make Google Eyes". Vanity Fair. http://www.vanityfair.com/society/2014/04/sergey-brin-amanda-rosenberg-affair#. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Bilton, Nick (4 February 2015). "Why Google Glass Broke". New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/05/style/why-google-glass-broke.html?_r=0. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Jay Yarrow (2013-08-29). "Meet Amanda Rosenberg, The Google Employee Sergey Brin Is Reportedly Dating". Business Insider. http://www.businessinsider.com/amanda-rosenberg-of-google-2013-8. Retrieved 2015-02-07. "Top Android executive Hugo Barra is leaving the company after a "thorny" personal relationship with another Googler ended, according to tech news site AllThingsD. That same Googler who was dating Barra is now in a relationship with 40-year-old Sergey Brin, Google's co-founder who recently split with his wife of six years, Anne Wojcicki."
- Anne Cohen (2013-08-30). "From Kate Middleton to Sergey Brin". The Jewish Daily Forward. http://blogs.forward.com/the-shmooze/tags/marlborough-college/. Retrieved 2015-02-09. "Born in Hong Kong and raised in the UK, the communications major from Leeds University moved to San Francisco last year, and described herself in an Internet profile as “part of the master race that is the Chinese Jew or Chew, if you will.”"
- Sloane, Garett (30 August 2013). "Google transfers Glass staffer after billionaire Brin’s mistress outed". New York Post. http://nypost.com/2013/08/30/google-transfers-glass-staffer-after-billionaire-brins-mistress-outed/. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Sears, Neal; Gardner, David; Nye, James (1 September 2013). "Google executive, 27, accused of 'sleeping her way to the top' in irate online posts after affair with boss Sergey Brin, 40, was exposed". Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2408421/Amanda-Rosenberg-accused-sleeping-way-Sergey-Brin-affair.html. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Victoria Lambert (2014-03-29). "Why everyone wants a Marlborough missus". The Telegraph (UK). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/10719247/Why-everyone-wants-a-Marlborough-missus.html. Retrieved 2015-02-09. "If Eton is often referred to as alma mater of leading politicians and power brokers, it seems that in Marlborough College, there exists a second, potentially just as influential, seed bed which grows alpha consorts."
- Maggie Lange (2014-03-26). "Alpha consorts: Is Kate Middleton’s School a Hotbed of Wives for the Rich and Famous?". New York magazine. http://nymag.com/thecut/2014/03/kate-middletons-school-hotbed-of-vip-wives.html. Retrieved 2015-02-09. "These “alpha consorts,” these “pillow-talkers to the great and good" aren't just suitable partners for politicians! They have range, according to The Telegraph. They have also won the hands of important titans of technology and entertainment: Harvey’s Weinstein’s wife, Georgina Chapman, and Google founder Sergey Brin’s girlfriend, Amanda Rosenberg, both went to Marlborough. And have perhaps even enjoyed professional success in their own right!"
- Rheanna Murray (2013-08-30). "Google Glass gets a fashionable update". New York Daily News. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/google-glass-fashionable-update-article-1.1441482. Retrieved 2015-02-07. "Designer Isabelle Olsson seemed to have the style-savvy hipster set in mind when she created a new version of the augmented reality specs. Modeled by marketing manager Amanda Rosenberg — who’s reportedly in a romantic relationship with married Google co-founder Sergey Brin — the modern frames are tortoise-shell cat eyes, available with tinted lenses."
- Amanda Rosenberg (2013-06-17). "Reactions [Through Glass"]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgkRhYgVA5s. Retrieved 2015-02-07. "Over the past year, I wasn't able to capture all the reactions I've experienced from others whilst wearing Glass. So, I thought I'd re-enact some of them instead. Shot entirely through Glass."
- Barry Schwartz (2013-06-19). "Reactions [Through Glass By Google"]. Search Engine Roundtable. https://www.seroundtable.com/google-glass-reaction-16953.html. Retrieved 2015-02-07. "Amanda Rosenberg Google's Product Marketing Manager for Project Glass, is way too funny. She starred in this video capturing many of the reactions she experienced from people around the world who saw her wearing Glass."
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Amanda Rosenberg (2018-06-18). "Hiding my mental illness from my Asian family almost killed me: The silent shame of having a mental illness in a Chinese family". Vox. https://www.vox.com/first-person/2018/6/18/17464574/asian-chinese-community-mental-health-illness. Retrieved 2019-05-13.
- Bethany Wang (2018-06-22). "Among Asian-American families, stigma still grips mental illnesses". KPCC. https://www.scpr.org/programs/airtalk/2018/06/21/63239/among-asian-american-families-stigma-still-grips-m/. Retrieved 2019-05-13. "There is a silent killer that is still looming in the Asian-American community. Asian-Americans are three times less likely to seek medical care for mental illnesses than Whites according to the American Psychological Association. Even back in 2007 suicide was the second leading cause of death for Asian Americans aged 15-34."
- Osborne, Hannah (13 August 2013). "Amanda Rosenberg: The Google Glass Girl with Sergey Brin in her Sights". International Business Times. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/amanda-rosenberg-profile-sergey-brin-google-glasses-502665. Retrieved 6 February 2015.