|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
Burano Condominiums, is a 50 storey, 163 metre tall residential high-rise condominium complex on Bay Street between Grenville St. and Grosvenor St. in the Discovery District of Downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The redevelopment of the site was part of a period of urban renewal of the Toronto financial district in the early 21st century.
Burano was designed by Peter Clewes of architectsAlliance, and is located across the street from Murano, another one of his Toronto projects that also include Spire, Casa Condominio Residenza and X the Condominium.
McLaughlin Motor Car Showroom
The Burano's lower three floors preserve the facade of the former Samuel McLaughlin's McLaughlin Motor Car Showroom, a two-storey heritage building designated in 1999 under the Ontario Heritage Act. Built in 1925 as the R.S. McLaughlin Building, the Gothic Revival building was one of the first automobile dealerships in Toronto, and remained continuously occupied by car dealerships for eighty-two years. Despite its long history, that use ended as part of a reorganization and consolidation of the car dealership industry in Canada.
Due to the soft soil at the site, and to facilitate excavation, the historic facade was dismantled and stored off-site during construction of the seven-floor underground garage. After the garage and foundation appropriate for the fifty floors above ground were completed, the facade was reconstructed, incorporating the important heritage components.
Public art was also incorporated into the Burano, including a large mural on the side of the heritage building. The historic building is marked with a plaque, placed in 2013 by Heritage Toronto.
- Peter Clewes
- Casa Condominio Residenza
- X the Condominium
- List of tallest buildings in Toronto
- "Burano Condominiums". Ryerson University Library & Archives. http://news.library.ryerson.ca/archapp/map_info/322. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- Landau, Jack (19 February 2015). "Throwback Thursday: Burano" (in en). CHART Communications Inc.. http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2015/02/throwback-thursday-burano. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- Knoeck, Kyle (21 August 2006). "City of Toronto Staff Report". Toronto and East York Community Council. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/te/te060913/it045.pdf. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- LeBlanc, Dave (30 April 2015). "Amid Toronto’s condo boom, high-rises have created a street-level energy" (in en-ca). The Globe and Mail. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/real-estate/amid-torontos-condo-boom-high-rises-have-created-a-street-level-energy/article24185002/. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Burano" (in en). http://lanterradevelopments.com/project/burano/. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Catalogue" (in en). architectsAlliance. http://www.architectsalliance.com/projects/catalogue. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- UrbanRealtyToronto 6, 2009/https://web.archive.org/web/20091206142942/http://urbanrealtytoronto.com/wordpress/2007/06/11/x-condominium-590-jarvis-street Archived December 6, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Turnbull, Barbara (15 June 2009). "Un-pave car dealer's lots to put up paradise". The Star. https://www.thestar.com/life/2009/06/15/unpave_car_dealers_lots_to_put_up_paradise.html. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- "Heritage Impact Statement (Conservation Strategy), Supplementary Report, The Burano". 14 March 2008. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-12476.pdf. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Toronto Urban Design Guidelines - North Downtown/Yonge". Toronto City Planning. June 2013. p. 64. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-59537.pdf. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "McLaughlin Motor Car Showroom Historical Plaque" (in en). Alan L Brown. http://torontoplaques.com/Pages/McLaughlin_Motor_Car_Showroom.html. Retrieved 13 May 2017.