Angela Tramonte was an American woman who died under suspicious circumstances while on her first visit to Dario Dizdar, a new boyfriend. The pair were both fitness enthusiasts, and were on nature hike, in the Arizona desert, on July 30, 2021.
The pair set out to climb Camelback Mountain, near Phoenix, Arizona. Dizdar described Tramonte telling him she was not feeling well, partway up the trail. He claims they agreed she would return to their vehicle and wait for him to complete his hike to the top. He claims that it was her idea they split up, so that he could take pictures from the summit for her to send to her friends back home in Massachusetts.
Tramonte seems to have been overcome one her way down. Observers have been highly critical of Dizdar, a local Police officer, who should have been aware of the dangers heat-stroke could pose to uninitiated outsiders, like Tramonte. Observers agree that Dizdar should have escorted Tramonte to safety.
According to Ellen Killoran, writing in Crime Online, three other hikers tried to tell Phoenix police about seeing Tramonte and Dizdar on the hike. Hiker Matthew Orr believed he observed the moment Tramonte turned back. He said he couldn't hear the discussion that preceded her return, but said the discussion seemed heated.
Tramonte listed herself as a model.
Tramonte's friends and family say she was very fit and health-conscious, and always carried water so she could hydrate herself, and cannot understand why she did not seem to have any water with her on this challenging hike.
- Scott J. Croteau (2021-08-01). "Boston woman dies while hiking in Arizona, authorities say". Mass live. https://www.masslive.com/boston/2021/08/boston-woman-dies-while-hiking-in-arizona-authorities-say.html. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "'At approximately 4:40pm, after an extensive search, the missing hiker was located off the Echo Canyon Trail, adjacent to a home, on the northeast side of Camelback Mountain,' the department said Friday."
- "Cause of death released for local woman who died during Arizona hike". Boston 25 News (Winthrop, Massachussetts). 2021-08-28. Archived from the original on 2021-08-29. https://web.archive.org/web/20210829002517/https://www.boston25news.com/news/local/cause-death-released-local-woman-who-died-during-arizona-hike/DCFIRWJQR5GRTA63C545FQ3UJA/. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "Angela Tramonte, 31, originally of Saugus, died on July 30 and the primary cause of death was environmental heat exposure, according to the Maricopa County Office of the Medical Examiner in Arizona. The manner of death was accident."
- "Arizona Medical Examiner Rules Hiker Angela Tramonte Of Saugus Died From Heat Exposure". Boston CBS (Phoenix, Arizona). 2021-08-30. https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/08/30/angela-tramonte-arizona-hiker-cause-of-death/. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "The pair went on a hike at Camelback Mountain on July 30 in what was described as intense heat, and police said they did not have any water."
- Dred Karedes (2021-08-30). "‘I have to fight for her’: Mom of Saugus native who died during first date with AZ cop speaks out". Boston 25 News (Saugus, Massachussetts). Archived from the original on 2021-08-31. https://web.archive.org/web/20210831030913/https://www.boston25news.com/news/i-have-fight-her-mom-saugus-native-who-died-during-first-date-with-az-cop-speaks-out/JRDOVDA72JAS7PZ5L62DI4MW2I/. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "Nancy Tramonte told Boston 25 News she still has many suspicions about what happened despite a preliminary autopsy report that was released over the weekend."
- Ellen Killoran (2021-08-11). "Bachelor Party Hikers Saw Angela Tramonte and Police Officer Date Before She Was Found Dead: ‘It Did Not Appear To Be Amicable’". Crime online. Archived from the original on 2021-08-22. https://web.archive.org/web/20210822033206/https://www.crimeonline.com/2021/08/11/bachelor-party-hikers-saw-angela-tramonte-and-police-officer-date-before-she-was-found-dead-it-did-not-appear-to-be-amicable/. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "Orr said he believes the above photograph was taken at the moment Tramonte decided to turn back, while Dizdar continued toward the summit. Although Orr was too far from the pair to hear their conversation, he said, 'It did not appear to be amicable .. It appeared to be some sort of dispute.'"
- "Angela's Resume: Angela Tramonte". Archived from the original on 2021-09-02. https://web.archive.org/web/20210902005610/https://www.exploretalent.com/resume/angelatramonte3/2351877. Retrieved 2021-09-01.
- Cassie McGrath (2021-08-03). "GoFundMe raises more than $42,000 for Angela Tramonte, Saugus woman who died hiking in Arizona". Mass live. https://www.masslive.com/boston/2021/08/gofundme-raises-more-than-42000-for-angela-tramonte-saugus-woman-who-died-hiking-in-arizona.html. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "In a GoFundMe, which has raised more than $42,000 in the span of a day, friends noted Tramonte was fit, always stayed hydrated and would not have gone hiking unprepared. Friends are questioning what happened during the hike that lead to her death."
- Dave Biscobing (2020-12-29). "LIST: 'Brady list' misconduct files for 100+ Phoenix PD staff". ABC 15. Archived from the original on 2021-08-04. https://web.archive.org/web/20210804065739/https://www.abc15.com/news/local-news/investigations/brady-list/list-brady-list-misconduct-files-for-100-phoenix-pd-staff. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "As a result, prosecutors began maintaining “Brady lists” to track law enforcement officials with integrity concerns, including past crimes, lying on the job, and other misconduct."
- Johanna Li (2021-08-30). "Death of Angela Tramonte, Who Died Hiking With Cop Previously Disciplined for Lying, Ruled Accidental". Inside Edition. Archived from the original on 2021-08-31. https://web.archive.org/web/20210831070443/https://www.insideedition.com/death-of-angela-tramonte-who-died-hiking-with-cop-previously-disciplined-for-lying-ruled-accidental. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "What added to their suspicion was that Tramonte died less than 24 hours after arriving in the state, and that Dizdar had previously been disciplined by Arizona police for once lying about his identity."
- Patrick Reilly (2021-08-29). "Woman’s death on first date hike with cop ruled accidental". New York Post. Archived from the original on 2021-08-31. https://web.archive.org/web/20210831195244/https://nypost.com/2021/08/29/angela-tramontes-death-on-arizona-hike-with-phoenix-cop-dario-dizdar-ruled-accidental/. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "Dizdar has lied to police before, according to KNXV. He was among a group of 100-plus Phoenix officers who were named in December as being listed in the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office’s 'Brady list,' which tracks law enforcement officials with alleged integrity concerns, including lying on the job, the station reported."
- "Investigators say officer previously disciplined for dishonesty". KYMA (Phoenix, Arizona). 2021-08-03. Archived from the original on 2021-08-30. https://web.archive.org/web/20210830160559/https://kyma.com/news/top-stories/2021/08/03/update-phoenix-officer-with-history-of-lying-is-last-person-to-see-dead-hiker-alive/. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "According to internal Phoenix Police Department (PPD) documents, in 2020, Dizdar was previously disciplined and placed on a Maricopa County Attorney’s Office “Brady list” which tracks police officers with "integrity concerns" because of past misconduct."
- Emma Colton (2021-08-05). "Police officer who took date on hike before she was found dead was previously disciplined for lying to police". Fox News. Archived from the original on 2021-08-31. https://web.archive.org/web/20210831085855/https://www.foxnews.com/us/phoenix-police-officer-disciplined-lying-hiker-dead. Retrieved 2021-09-01. "Phoenix Police Officer Dario Dizdar has been with the force since 2007, and was disciplined in 2009 for lying to Arizona police about his name and age during a criminal investigation, according to internal affairs documents reviewed by The Daily Beast."