Alex Sodiqov is a political science PhD student at the University of Toronto, who was apprehended by security officials in Tajikistan on June 16, 2014. Sodigov was born in Tajikistan. He returned there while working on a research project organized by the University of Exeter.
According to Asia Plus Sodigov was apprehended during an interview with a "civil society representative in Khorog, in the eastern regioan of Gorno Badakhshan." The interview was part of his duties for a research project, based at the University of Exeter. The Exeter project was investigating why "western approaches to conflict management" were failing in former Soviet republics. There had been an outbreak of violence in Khorog in 2012, that was the subject of Sodigov's study.
Slate magazine reported that Tajikistan security officials issued a statement on June 17, 2014, that stated that Sodiqov "had been detained for carrying out “subversion and espionage” on behalf of a foreign country."
- Terry Davidson (2014-06-18). "University of Toronto student arrested in Tajikistan". Toronto: Toronto Sun. Archived from the original on 2014-06-19. http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.torontosun.com%2F2014%2F06%2F18%2Funiversity-of-toronto-student-arrested-in-tajikistan&date=2014-06-19. "Fears are mounting for the safety of a University of Toronto student arrested Monday in the high-risk Central Asian country of Tajikistan."
- "Professor from Toronto University writes to Tajik MFA regarding detention of Alexander Sodiqov". Dushanbe: Asia Plus. http://news.tj/en/news/professor-toronto-university-writes-tajik-mfa-regarding-detention-alexander-sodiqov. Retrieved 2014-02. "Professor Edward Schatz from the University of Toronto on June 17 wrote letters to Tajikistan’s ministries of foreign affairs and interiors regarding detention of Alexander Sodiqov in Khorog."
- "Ph.D. Student, Alexander Sodiqov, detained in Tajikstan". University of Toronto. 2014-06-18. Archived from the original on 2014-06-18. https://web.archive.org/web/20140619032732/http://politics.utoronto.ca/2014/06/18/ph-d-student-alexander-sodiqov-detained-in-tajikstan/. "We are deeply concerned to hear reports that one of our Ph.D. students, Alexander Sodiqov, has been detained in Tajikistan, where he has been conducting research under the auspices of a UK-based project called “Rising Powers and Conflict Management in Central Asia.”"
- "University of Toronto statement". University of Toronto. 2014-06-18. https://media.utoronto.ca/media-releases/university-of-toronto-statement-5/. Retrieved 2014-06-18. "Alexander Sodiqov, a PhD student at the University of Toronto, was reportedly detained by security officials on the 16th of June 2014 in Khorog, Tajikistan."
"University of Exeter makes statement regarding detention of Alexander Sodiqov in Khorog". Dushanbe: Asia Plus. 2014-06-17. Archived from the original. Error: If you specify
|archiveurl=, you must also specify
|archivedate=Template:Namespace detect showall. https://web.archive.org/web/20140619130353/http://news.tj/en/news/university-exeter-makes-statement-regarding-detention-alexander-sodiqov-khorog. Retrieved 2014-06-19. "The purpose of Sodiqov’s visit to Gorno Badakhshan was solely related to his academic work, the statement said."
- Ellery Biddle, Lisa Ferguson, Hae-in Lim, Sarah Myers West (2014-06-18). "Netizen Report: Tajikistan Arrests Canadian Student, Partially Blocks YouTube and Google". Slate magazine. Archived from the original on 2014-06-19. https://web.archive.org/web/20140619034613/http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/06/18/netizen_report_tajikistan_arrests_alex_sodiqov_partially_blocks_youtube.html. "The day after his disappearance, Tajik state security officials released a statement confirming that Sodiqov had been detained for carrying out “subversion and espionage” on behalf of a foreign country. On the contrary, as his academic adviser put it, “Alexander is a researcher, not a spy.” Supporters are using the hashtag #FreeAlexSodiqov to call for his release."
"Заявление УГКНБ РТ по ГБАО [Statement SCNS RT GBAO]" (in Russian). Government of Tajikistan. 2014-06-17. Archived from the original. Error: If you specify
|archiveurl=, you must also specify
|archivedate=Template:Namespace detect showall. http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.khovar.tj%2Frus%2Fsecurity%2F41306-zayavlenie-ugknb-rt-po-gbao.html&date=2014-06-19. Retrieved 2014-02.