Google news alerts
The google search engine provided its users with an option to restrict their searches to articles, audio and video published by news agencies. And, with the news alert feature, they introduced a feature not offered by rival companies' search engines, a feature that allowed users to request being told when a new development occurred on a topic they had searched for news.
Google added a button to the search results from news searches, that would create ongoing searches. Google would need to know certain parameters for the search, including:
- Email address: The email address where google should mail the new news matches.
- Language: The language restriction the search engine should confine itself to. Users could, for instance, confine their request to news articles in English. Alternately, they could request being advised of developments in all languages.
- Region: Local, worldwide, etc
- Frequency: Choices include "as it happens", "once a day"
In 2021, with little fanfare, google deprecated the news alert feature. They removed it from the results pages for news searches. It was still possible to create new news alerts. Google continued to send email to their users for the news alerts they had already created. And each of those emails contained a link to a page that allowed them to modify the search terms, for that search. As of April 2021, this interface, reached by clicking on the "edit alert" button in their emails, could be used to create new news alerts.
- Loren Baker (2003-08-06). "Google Adds Google News Alerts". Search Engine Journal. Archived from the original on 2021-11-09. https://web.archive.org/web/20201109022359/https://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-adds-google-news-alerts/84/#close. Retrieved 2021-04-07. "Users can enter any search term into the Google News Alerts system and have the choice of receiving email updates as the news happens, or via a daily summary."
- John Simek (September 2008). "Watching the Digital Radar with Google News Alerts Technology: Hot Buttons". Law Practice 34 (6): 20. Archived from the original on 2021-04-10. https://web.archive.org/web/20210410043731/https://heinonline.org/HOL/Page?handle=hein.journals%2Flwpra34&div=130&g_sent=1&casa_token=MwEWueFDPmMAAAAA%3A7QH_99IbbHDIPATzUd7HV21RCmVXIrTIanTsKpIfEwRr_ttk1hBJuP_W45Yh2dfSOyzX9eh7Pw&collection=journals. Retrieved 2021-04-07. "One of the best ways to monitor information that can be make-or-break in your practice is the savvy use of Google News Alerts.".
- The Smart Marketer’s Guide to Google Alerts
- Windows Live Search Rolls Out News Alerts Service
- Filter Google Alerts with Alerts Grader
- Google Search Console Sending Email Alerts for Spikes in Search Traffic
- Google Introduces Google Trends Email Alerts, Trending Topics and Hot Searches Delivered To Your Inbox
- 44 Free Tools to Help You Find What People Search For
- Google Launches SOS Alert For Searches Related to Coronavirus
- Google Sends Notifications of HTTP/2 Googlebot Crawling
- What’s New With Google News
- Google Ads App Gets New Features After 3 Months of No Updates
- Google Search Console Updates: More Control Over Data & Email Notifications
- Broken Google Alerts: Here’s How to Move On
- 12 of the Best Tools to Monitor Your Online Reputation