|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
Ghostsingles.com is the product of Randy Tayler, a programmer and writer. Created in 2009, he made this website as a joke to make fun of the culture surrounding dating websites. Tayler is quoted saying "All ghosts need love too".
Ghostsingles.com is a completely free dating website used to talk to computers acting as ghost or others pretending to be ghosts as well.
The layout of ghostsingles.com is one not unlike a regular dating website. The layout is a blue background with a block of white giving options to join ghostsingles.com, "chat now" with other ghosts, or search through the profiles of those on the site.
As one enters the website to join, it only allows ghosts or ghouls of the age '18-1000+". Upon choosing to create an account, it will as questions regarding how users died (horribly, tragically, mysteriously, suddenly) and users' ghostly form (wispy, airy, ethereal, smoky, cloudy, flesh). After joining, users are free to look at the profiles of other ghosts and join a chatroom with them. However, after a certain amount of time, the chatroom ghosts will find out the user is mortal. The user's screen will be filled with ghostly faces and screams, and then will be kicked off of the chat.
Ghostsingles.com received national attention from multiple news outlets, such as Time.com, Huffington Post, and Buzzfeed. The website Gizmodo claims that "the internet is over" after the creation of ghostsingles.com because "there isn't much else to do".
- "Dating site for ghosts haunts web" (in en-GB). Metro. 2013-10-05. http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/05/thats-the-spirit-the-dating-service-for-ghosts-thats-haunting-the-web-4135319/.
- "Randy Tayler". http://www.randytayler.com/.
- Clench, Sam (October 14, 2013). "Dating websites for ghosts are a real thing now". News.Com.Au. http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/relationships/welcome-to-ghostsinglescom-the-dating-website-for-ghosts/news-story/c472850318eb10a094161a8c2d8e369b.
- "9 Facts About Ghost Dating You Need To Know For When You Die Alone" (in en-US). TheGloss. 2013-10-01. http://www.thegloss.com/sex-and-dating/ghostsingles-online-dating-for-ghosts/.
- "Dating website for ghosts launched" (in en). CBS. http://www.cbs46.com/story/23734015/dating-website-for-ghosts-launched.
- "GhostSingles.com - The Best Dating Site for Dead Singles". http://www.ghostsingles.com/.
- "Welcome to GhostSingles.com, the dating website for ghosts" (in en-US). Fox News. 2013-10-14. http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/10/14/welcome-to-ghostsinglescom-dating-website-for-ghosts.html.
- "A Dating Website For Ghosts" (in en). Don't Panic UK. http://dontpaniconline.com/magazine/festivals/dating-website-for-ghosts-.
- Aamoth, Doug. "Finally, a Dating Site for Ghosts" (in en-US). Time. ISSN 0040-781X. http://techland.time.com/2013/10/03/finally-a-dating-site-for-ghosts/.
- "You Need To See This Hilarious Dating Website For Ghosts" (in en). BuzzFeed. https://www.buzzfeed.com/adamdavis/dating-site-for-ghosts.
- Newman, Lily Hay. "There's A Dating Site For Ghosts . . . So Yeah We Can All Go Home Now" (in en-US). Gizmodo. https://gizmodo.com/theres-a-dating-site-for-ghosts-so-yeah-we-can-all-go-1444623823.