|The below content is licensed according to Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License contrary to the public domain logo at the foot of the page. It originally appeared on http://en.wikipedia.org. The original article might still be accessible here. You may be able to find a list of the article's previous contributors on the talk page.|
Template:Infobox station Caledonia is an underground light rail transit (LRT) station under construction on Line 5 Eglinton, a new line that is part of the Toronto subway system. It will be located along Eglinton Avenue between the GO Transit Barrie rail corridor and the entrance to the Westside Mall. This is about 200 metres west of Caledonia Road opposite Blackthorn Avenue.
The main entrance will face Eglinton Avenue West and have a small station plaza. The station will include a bus loop with two bus bays, outdoor parking for 60 bicycles and retail spaces within the main entrance at ground level.
The underground station platform will be located on the north side of the Eglinton Avenue directly under the main entrance. Thus, there is an opportunity to bring sunlight from this entrance down to the platform level.
As part of a program to install artworks at major interchange stations along Line 5 Eglinton, Caledonia station will feature the artwork Ride of Your Life by Janice Kerbel, consisting of a series of large-scale mosaic wall works which will be visible from the Line 5 platform level. The artwork shows mosaic images of signage with multiple typefaces and sizes.
Caledonia GO Station
In May 2015, Metrolinx announced plans to add Caledonia as a future stop on the GO Transit Barrie line. The environmental assessment for the GO station was expected to be complete in early 2016. However, the GO station portion will not open until the opening of Line 5 Eglinton.
The LRT station will be integrated with the planned GO station. There will be a pedestrian bridge connecting the GO station to the LRT station's main entrance. The GO station will have a second entrance at its north end where both the York Beltline Trail and Bowie Avenue end. In future, through the Regional Rail Express project, a second track is planned for the GO line to enable all-day, two-way GO train service.
The following routes would serve this station according to the report presented at the board meeting on February 25, 2016:
|34||Eglinton||Westbound to Mount Dennis station and eastbound to Science Centre station|
|47||Lansdowne||Northbound to Yorkdale station and southbound to Queen Street.|
- "Caledonia Station : Crosstown". Template:Date. http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project/stations-and-stops/caledonia-station. Retrieved Template:Date.
- Oliver Moore (Template:Date). "Underground for now, construction proceeds on Eglinton LRT". Globe and Mail. Archived from the original on Template:Date. https://web.archive.org/web/20141221153914/http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/underground-for-now-construction-proceeds-on-eglinton-lrt/article18329883/. Retrieved Template:Date. "Headwalls that will form the box of the stations have been installed at Keele Street and Caledonia Road, and work is under way on one at Dufferin Street. The TBMs go right through headwalls after they have been built, in order to ensure a tight seal, and the two at work in this area are now on either side of what will eventually be the Caledonia LRT station."
- Rahul Gupta (Template:Date). "Eglinton LRT: Construction activity well underway on both sides of Allen Road". Inside Toronto. Archived from the original on Template:Date. https://web.archive.org/web/20150123040311/http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/4511845-eglinton-lrt-construction-activity-well-underway-on-both-sides-of-allen-road/. Retrieved Template:Date. "Digging 50 feet below street level, the 81-metre long TBMs nicknamed Dennis and Lea are currently located in the vicinity of Caledonia Road, one of 12 underground Crosstown stations planned for the route. They are expected to reach the Allen later this year, when they will be redeployed beyond Eglinton West subway station to continue the dig east towards Yonge Street."
- Tim Alamenciak (Template:Date). "Eglinton Crosstown LRT back on schedule, engineer says". Toronto Star. Archived from the original on Template:Date. https://web.archive.org/web/20140803105256/http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/transportation/2014/04/30/eglinton_crosstown_lrt_back_on_schedule_engineer_says.html. Retrieved Template:Date. "“It’s a seemingly simple process that’s actually very high tech,” said Kramer. The first of the two tunneling machines (dubbed Dennis) entered the ground June of 2013 and has made it to Caledonia Rd. from its starting point at Black Creek Dr. The other machine, Lea, is just behind."
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- "Artists and Artworks". Metrolinx. http://thecrosstown.ca/artistsandartworks. Retrieved Template:Date.
- Dominic Kurek (Template:Date). "Metrolinx to add GO station at Eglinton Avenue West on Barrie line". Inside Toronto. Archived from the original on Template:Date. https://web.archive.org/web/20150505224634/http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/5602283-metrolinx-to-add-go-station-at-eglinton-avenue-west-on-barrie-line/. "Metrolinx, the provincial agency in charge of regional transportation plans in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas, has announced it will be adding a GO Transit station on the Barrie GO line at Eglinton Avenue West and Caledonia Road."
- "Metrolinx moving forward with plans for Caledonia GO Station" (Press release). Canada News Wire. April 24, 2015. http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1524297/metrolinx-moving-forward-with-plans-for-caledonia-go-station. Retrieved April 24, 2015.
- "5 facts about the future Caledonia GO Station". York Guardian. Template:Date. Archived from the original on Template:Date. https://web.archive.org/web/20150614230709/http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/5674887-5-facts-about-the-future-caledonia-go-station/. "The expected completion date for the station is 2020, to open at the same time as the new Eglinton Crosstown LRT. Metrolinx, a provincial agency in charge of both projects, is currently conducting an environmental assessment for the GO station, which is expected to be complete in early 2016."
- "Changes to TTC Bus Routes in Eglinton Corridor for Line 5 Rapid Transit Line". Toronto Transit Commission. Template:Date. https://ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Commission_reports_and_information/Commission_meetings/2016/February_25/Reports/Changes_to_TTC_Bus_Routes_in_Eglinton_Corridor_for_Line_5_Ra.pdf.
- Caledonia Station project page at the Eglinton Crosstown website.