Decepticons at the Pole
Decepticons at the Pole is a children's book with optional companion audio cassette. It was written by John Grant and illustrated by Barry Rowell. It was published in 1988.
Seeking a new energy source, the Decepticons decide, on the advice of their Nebulan partners, to build an energy converter at the pole and harness cosmic energy via Nebulos' magnetic field. The Autobots discover the plan and realise that interfering with the energy flow will doom the planet. When Cyclonus refuses to listen to reason, they launch an attack and destroy the energy pyramid. The Decepticons make a second attempt, by moving Scorponok and the entire Decepticon force to the pole and establishing a more complex energy converter. The Autobots launch an attack during which Kup, Blurr and Sureshot manage to melt the permafrost under the converter and collapse it.
- This story was released as an audiobook.
- Another new prologue is added, referring to the Transformers relocating to Nebulos. The books now focus solely on the Headmaster and Targetmaster characters.
- In this book and the subsequent one, the Autobots are shown to be led by Hot Rod and the Decepticons by Cyclonus. Again this seems to place them firmly outside either TV or comic continuity.
- Although he does not appear in the book, Misfire is mentioned.
- Hot Rod's partner is referred to as Sparks, as in the Marvel comics, as opposed to Firebolt as in the toy line.
- Scorponok is here portrayed as simply a transforming Decepticon base (base to scorpion and back again) of limited intelligence, with no mention of his robot mode.