Africa World Books
Africa World Books is an Australian book publishing company that mainly focuses on publishing and promoting works of authors with African origins. The publishing house was founded in 2013 by Peter Deng who also serves as the CEO of the company.
Based in Osborne Park in Perth, Western Australia, Africa World Books was founded by Peter Deng who was once a refugee in Australia. He worked immensely hard and on the 13th of October in 2013, he founded Africa World Books. Deng's inspiration to start the company came from his love for Africa, his homeland.
Africa World Books was created to support African authors and publish their works. The company provides special support and advises African authors on how to get published, especially South Sudanese authors. However, in recent times the company has expanded to include local Australians as well.
Deng founded Africa World Books on three principles:
- Promoting African authors – helping to both publish books and
- Retail them, as well as helping them develop their careers.
- Educating the community about their heritage.
- Educating the Australian community about the culture and history of Africa.
The company particularly aims to support the South Sudan region, the talent, academic, and communities that have stemmed from it. Its focus is on expats of South Sudan, and those who are interested in learning more. The company says that they want to promote the culture and heritage of the region.
They also offer evaluations upon manuscript submissions, and can provide you with an objective assessment of the structure, plot, and voice of your book. Africa World Books also advices authors about how marketable their book is and offer suggestions to improve it.
Some notable books published by them include "Blinding the Ghost's Eye" by Sara Maher, "Enlightened Darkness" by Kuany Kiir Kuany, "Unsung Giants: Who Fought to Keep Africa Free" by Opap, Okoth and many more.
Africa World Books is now a leading international publisher of South Sudanese authors and books in the Dinka language. Books published by Africa World Books is “listed on about 38,000 distribution outlets worldwide.”
- "About us" (in en-US). 2019-06-20. https://africaworldbooks.com/about-us/.
- "How the search for an out-of-print book led a refugee to build a hit publishing company" (in en). https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/how-the-search-for-an-out-of-print-book-led-a-refugee-to-build-a-hit-publishing-company/ntrq1alip.
- "From South Sudan to Australia: One man’s quest to save stories". Christian Science Monitor. 2020-07-14. ISSN 0882-7729. https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/2020/0714/From-South-Sudan-to-Australia-One-man-s-quest-to-save-stories?msclkid=3f3f66c6c69011eca620be5922c27546.
- (in en) WELCOME TO AFRICA WORLD BOOKS PUBLISHING BOOKS BY WRITERS OF AFRICAN DESCENT, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfEudiKComA, retrieved 2022-05-01
- "Africa World Books Australia: Publisher, Unit 3, 57 Frobisher St, Perth (2022)". https://www.schoolandcollegelistings.com/AU/Perth/603787696339282/Africa-World-Books-Australia:-Publisher.
- "Africa World Books - Publishing - Overview, Competitors, and Employees". https://www.apollo.io/companies/Africa-World-Books/56e0d9d4f3e5bb68f1001e7a.
- "Books published by Africa World Books Pty Ltd - Wheelers Books". https://www.wheelers.co.nz/browse/publisher/196339-africa-world-books-pty-ltd/?page=3.
- "Africa World Books Pty Ltd | Perlego" (in en). https://www.perlego.com/publisher/5402/africa-world-books-pty-ltd.
- "Africa World Books Pty Ltd" (in English). https://bookshout.com/publishers/africa-world-books-pty-ltd.
- "Books by Africa World Books Pty Ltd | Book Depository". https://www.bookdepository.com/publishers/Africa-World-Books-Pty-Ltd.
- "South Sudanese Literature Has a Global Reach Thanks to Peter Deng’s Trailblazing Publishing Project". https://brittlepaper.com/2020/07/south-sudanese-literature-has-a-global-reach-thanks-to-peter-dengs-trailblazing-publishing-project/.